Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil and brake problems

Laser17
12-27-2004, 01:11 PM
Ok, I purchased my 1998 Olds Intrigue late October of 2004, Since i've bought it, its had an oil leak thats been pretty annoying, although some stopleak helped, not completely sealing but lowering the amount of oil from 1 quart a week to 1 quart every 3 weeks. On christmas eve I was ran off the road by a drunk driver at 60 mph onto a stretch of rough, deep-potholed dirt, i heard scrapes and stuff along the undercarraige, but i didn't think anything had happened, the next day i hit a small pothole and my front underside plastic guard came halfway off and began dragging on the ground, i couldn't put it back on because the spring was bent so i just removed it completely, my friend said that it doesn't matter whether or not its still there because there is a second guard to protect everything. So we got our first snowfall of the season, and i was out driving today and my friend was in front of me in his Saturn SL2, and he stopped at a stop sign at teh bottom of a hill, and although i pumped an breaked early, i slid slowly into him, no damage of done and there was only a chip off of the license plate bracket, but when i got home i noticed that the anti-lock light had come, (they had been working in the snow i could hear the continuous clicking) and the regular brake light had come on, and i tested the brakes the antilocks are no longer functioning, but the regular brakes are fine the pedals just a little stiffer, but i need to know, did the lights come on because of the slow motion rear end i performed, or because the guard had come off the day before, please help, i would prefer not to have to put the car into servicing

Laser17
12-27-2004, 01:21 PM
O yea, ever since the ice last night, only one windshield wiper works, and the metal is bend so the upper half of the blade doesn't touch the window, luckly it was the passengers side wiper that broke, but the ice also disconnected the fluid hoses, so now fluid just sprays out the back of the blade instead of the middle, yea thats about it, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

kmohr3
12-27-2004, 05:42 PM
the engine rear plate gasket likes to leak on the 3.8 motors. Also it could be something like an oil pressure switch leaking. The rear plate gasket involves removing the trans and seal carrier. Probably 6 hours labor or so.

vsnider
02-09-2005, 04:29 PM
I was just curious....when you say the antilocks are no longer functioning, but the regular brakes are fine, how can you tell? My brakes suddenly seem like they take a lot more strength to push in order to get the car to stop.....like they've lost the "cushion". I just picked it up from the dealershipo where they resurfaced front and rear rotors but said that there was still over half the pad left. Just curious.....thanks.

Laser17
02-09-2005, 08:49 PM
by antilocks not functioning, i mean if i slam the breaks, the front tires lock up and smoke skid to a stop, whereas if they were working, i would not skid, and would slowly stop, yea since the ABS has gone, the pedal is alot tighter, but it still stops the car, that what i mean by the normal brakes are fine, the car as the same amount of stopping power, it just lost the ability to not lock up the tires...i should be getting it fixed though

vsnider
02-09-2005, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the info and quick reply...good luck!

JTrujillo86
02-10-2005, 01:57 PM
When the BRAKE light is on it means that you are low on brake fluid in the master cylinder. According to the manual, you are not supposed to drive at all with both the ABS light and the BRAKE light on at the same time. I would check the resivior and see how the brake fluid level is. If it's okay, I would take your car in as soon as possible.

Jeremy

Laser17
02-10-2005, 02:11 PM
The mechanic said that the Brake light comes in in conjuction with the ABS light if there is a problem with the abs, also, the brake light itself will go on if you let your pads go bad in either the front or back. Now if your pads are fine, and the brake light comes on, then you have a brake fluid issue, as of now though I'm filled to the brim with brake fluid it always has been..

panzer dragoon
02-12-2005, 04:32 PM
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

I have a 2000 Intrigue and there was a recall on an ABS part. Your year may be different.

Add your comment to this topic!