Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 door open sensor

fireballs76
12-01-2004, 09:48 PM
My girlfriend has a 96 Stratus and the door warning light is always on. Usually it is just a button that gets jammed, but I cannot find the sensor in this car. I am sick of getting in the car all the time without a dome light on because we have to manually turn it on or otherwise it would always be on with the sensor always saying the door is open. Plus it is annoying seeing the "door" light where the odometer is supposed to be. Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
JR

paride
12-02-2004, 07:58 AM
I've recently come across this problem with my '96 Stratus. What I found was that the switch associated with the door/light circuit on the driver's door was not being fully depressed/pushed in when the door was closed. The switch wasn't being fully depressed because the sheet metal on the drivers door had bowed away from the switch - the door metal is very thin and eight years of closing the door and compressing the switch bent the metal out of shape. The switch is a small black pushbutton, located a few inches below the latch of the door. To solve this, I first tried pushing the metal back into position, but after a few months it had again bowed away from the switch. What I then did was remount the door switch with a washer behind it (there's only one screw holding it in place), effectively moving the switch out an eighth of an inch. This seems to have solved the problem.

fireballs76
12-02-2004, 10:48 AM
[QUOTE=paride]I've recently come across this problem with my '96 Stratus. What I found was that the switch associated with the door/light circuit on the driver's door was not being fully depressed/pushed in when the door was closed. The switch wasn't being fully depressed because the sheet metal on the drivers door had bowed away from the switch

paride...

Thanks for the info, I too noticed last night where the switch was and also realized the switch had been broken because I am guessing the seatbelt or something got slammed in the door. I was able to use heavy duty tape and a piece of ribber to make it work. Thanks again

Add your comment to this topic!