Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Re: 2001 S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 Reverse Problems

realtorjay
11-26-2004, 07:25 PM
Just bought my used S-10 with 36,500 miles on it and I noticed that two times in the past week it does not go into reverse when I put it in gear. Anyone heard of this happening or does anyone have any suggestions. If I put it into Park and then back into reverse it goes into gear. Help please!! Just wanted to add it is an auto trans. Thanks in advance to all that help out with this problem

OverBoardProject
11-26-2004, 11:31 PM
Isn't it still under warranty? if it is just ask the dealer to look at it.

I would imagine that the linkage is out of adjustment just a hair. try moving the shifter just a little in both directions the next time that the problem happens.

if it isn't under warranty, but seems to be an adjustment then crawling underneeth and fixxing it shouldn't be too hard.

realtorjay
11-26-2004, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the quick help. It is out of warranty and it is an automatic. I am stupid when it comes to vehicles can I still get the work done you mentioned or is that for a manual only. Thanks Again I really appreciate it!!

Isn't it still under warranty? if it is just ask the dealer to look at it.

I would imagine that the linkage is out of adjustment just a hair. try moving the shifter just a little in both directions the next time that the problem happens.

if it isn't under warranty, but seems to be an adjustment then crawling underneeth and fixxing it shouldn't be too hard.

OverBoardProject
11-27-2004, 12:15 AM
I knew you ment an automatic when you mentioned park.

When you make the adjustment, if you have to put a felt pen mark, or paint mark on the threads... on both sides, before removing the linkage from the transmission, turn it no more that 1 turn at a time, then see if the problem is gone. If it's worse then you know that you went the wrong way. I like the mark on the threads, so I don't keep on going the wrong way (which I've done in the past)

If you can get under your truck easily enough it should take you less than 1/2 an hour.

Oh I should have said, get a friend to move the shifter while you look under the hood, and look for extra play on the linkage, then under the s-10, by the transmission.

Good luck, and I hope that you enjoy the new truck.

realtorjay
11-27-2004, 06:37 PM
Just wanted to say thank you that has fixed the problem for now. Is this common on S-10's? Also does it happen again over time. Any other things I should be aware of? Thank you again for your time I really appreciate it!! Happy Holidays!

I knew you ment an automatic when you mentioned park.

When you make the adjustment, if you have to put a felt pen mark, or paint mark on the threads... on both sides, before removing the linkage from the transmission, turn it no more that 1 turn at a time, then see if the problem is gone. If it's worse then you know that you went the wrong way. I like the mark on the threads, so I don't keep on going the wrong way (which I've done in the past)

If you can get under your truck easily enough it should take you less than 1/2 an hour.

Oh I should have said, get a friend to move the shifter while you look under the hood, and look for extra play on the linkage, then under the s-10, by the transmission.

Good luck, and I hope that you enjoy the new truck.

OverBoardProject
11-27-2004, 08:02 PM
it shouldn't happen, but you'll find the same problem in just about any type of automatic auto from time to time. Always the same fix

Add your comment to this topic!