Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

electrical or security system problem

4goodys
10-25-2004, 08:24 PM
I purchased a 1999 amigo from an insurance company. They said it was a theft recovery but the key was in it. It will not start. Everything is as it should be interms of battery charged etc... None of the wiring has been tampered with. All lights come on etc... but when you turn the key to engage the starter nothing happens. Although, the red security light comes on in the dash. I do not have a remote for the vehicle. I am guessing based on the manual that the starter is disabled and that I need to reset or bypass the security system. I have tried the key in the door and lock unlock etc... Disconnected the battery. Changed batteries. I am out of ideas. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

2eyefishclaw
10-26-2004, 10:10 PM
try hitting on the starter with a hammer while someone trys to start it if it works it need a starter

ponchonutty
10-27-2004, 12:02 PM
The only thing I could tell you is to unlock the car in any of the doors with the key. That will disarm the alarm. Other than that, you'll have to get a meter and start checking wires to see what's getting juice and what's not.

Add your comment to this topic!