Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

4x4 Problem - 96 trooper

96Trooper
10-21-2004, 07:29 PM
Hi All; Not sure if any of you have experienced the 4x4 system going out or not.... I just found out the hard way my 4x4 wasn't engaging.

When starting the truck, all the cluster lights function, including the 4X4 light. -- When I put my truck in 4Hi this evening, the cluster light did not come on. I tried 4Lo as well (same problem)
I thought the light must be out, and proceeded in some light mud, when I realized that the 4x4 was really out. (Fortunately, I was able to rock the truck out and get back onto hard dirt.)

Now, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem, and what you did? (Any ideas how much it may cost to get the system looked at? ) Is it even worth it? Worst case scenario, what could I be looking at - - (I would like to mention, when I shifted to 4Lo, I heard my gear grind slightly,--but I didn't shit properly--i.e. didn't follow the shift pattern.)

Your thoughts and insights are greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

p.s. I've got 128,000k on this truck

96Trooper
10-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Hi All;

I think I might have figured out why my 4X4 is not working...... Earlier this Summer, my trucks Alternator locked up on the PA Turnpike, and had to be towed (Nightmare). I couldn't get a flatbed tow truck, so my truck was dragged off (front end lifted). -- Someone suggested this may have damaged the 4x4 system, because the front wheels were unable to spin while on the tow truck.

I guess this makes sense. Now, I just need to figure out how much it might cost me to get the truck fixed.

I'll let you guys know what I find out... (But if someone else knows or has experienced a similar problem, I'd love to hear about it--especially how you resolved the problem.

I'll keep you posted.

Semper Fi

travelman
10-23-2004, 10:11 AM
Why would the front end be damaged from a tow when it was in the air????

You weren't in 4wd on the trunpike were you? If so then the 4wd wasn't engaged when you were towed. If that was the case, again I don't see the tow being a problem.

Could have lost a c-clip on a hub (I would expect you would have heard a loud grinding noise when trying to engage). At least on my 99 the 4wd engages electrically and by vacuum. If yours is the same, you could have a wiring problem, a servo problem or a vacuum problem. Try this: http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/65 If you are lucky it could be as simple as a popped off vacuum hose.

96Trooper
10-23-2004, 05:40 PM
Why would the front end be damaged from a tow when it was in the air????

You weren't in 4wd on the trunpike were you? If so then the 4wd wasn't engaged when you were towed. If that was the case, again I don't see the tow being a problem.

Could have lost a c-clip on a hub (I would expect you would have heard a loud grinding noise when trying to engage). At least on my 99 the 4wd engages electrically and by vacuum. If yours is the same, you could have a wiring problem, a servo problem or a vacuum problem. Try this: http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/65 If you are lucky it could be as simple as a popped off vacuum hose.

Thanks for your note. I'll look into your suggestion. (Hopefully its as simple as that.)

A minute before the truck cutoff, the guague lit the 4wd engaged, but I didn't shift into 4wd. (In the tow truck cabin, it was not a smooth ride... it almost felt like the tow truck was struggling a bit pulling my truck.-- then again the PA turnpike is hilly)

Thanks much for that link, it is very helpful....I was searching for such sites last night with no avail.

Thanks again

Add your comment to this topic!