Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Thermo control switch for electric fan?

skid2964
10-21-2004, 09:32 AM
bought a 1995 V6 Ford Explorer for my daughter. I noticed it does not have a regular fan, nor does it appear to have an OEM electric fan. It has an aftermarket electric fan rigged up on a manual switch connected directly to the battery! My daughter has to remember to turn on the fan if she sits idling too long.

My questions are: Did this vehicle originally come with a thermostatically controlled electric fan? a conventional fan? if electric, where would I find the switch that originally controlled the fan? near the temperature sensor sending unit?

BlitzKeg
10-21-2004, 10:42 AM
yea your 95 exploder actually uses a fan drive clutch which contains silicone oil.

It's regulated by the torque carring capacity of the oil, the more oil the faster it goes, the less the slower it goes.

The fan drive clutch is the coiled bi-mettallic thermostatic spring type,
It's heat sensitive and is connected to an opening plate that controls the fan based on the cooling need. disconnect the bi-mattallic spring and its no longer temperature controled.
:licka:
so the prev. owner must have used a shade tree mechanic method of fixing the cooling fan.
but it did come with a fan from the factory of.course with no manuel switch.

hope that answers your questions :cheers: :smokin: :cheers:

skid2964
10-21-2004, 10:45 AM
yea your 95 exploder actually uses a fan drive clutch which contains silicone oil.

It's regulated by the torque carring capacity of the oil, the more oil the faster it goes, the less the slower it goes.

The fan drive clutch is the coiled bi-mettallic thermostatic spring type,
It's heat sensitive and is connected to an opening plate that controls the fan based on the cooling need. disconnect the bi-mattallic spring and its no longer temperature controled.
:licka:
so the prev. owner must have used a shade tree mechanic method of fixing the cooling fan.
but it did come with a fan from the factory of.course with no manuel switch.

hope that answers your questions :cheers: :smokin: :cheers:

Yes it does! thanks! I will go and buy a new fan clutch and try and find a fan in a junk yard ...

Add your comment to this topic!