Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Internals Question.

Gilly-SR
10-17-2004, 11:03 PM
If i were to get cams which ones should i get TODA/SKUNK2 or other. Also if i got cams would i need to get new valves and spring or just springs or neither.

Thanks guys

gsr916
10-17-2004, 11:17 PM
Personally i think you should try to find some Type R cams, but if u must get toda or skunk2, realize that toda cams are about 1/2 the price. Type R you will still get higher profile but the non-vtec lobes will allow you to pass smog. You need to at least get just springs unless you want to risk valve float at high rpms and fuck up your valve train. I know if you get just type R cams you can use your stock gsr intake springs on the exhaust cam, and buy only intake springs. Find some Type R's or even CTR cams

CivicSpoon
10-17-2004, 11:30 PM
If you do what gsr916 says, get the civic type r cams. the exhaust cam is the same on both but the intake is more aggressive on the civic.
Otherwise look at this thread; specifically jackasssi's post of dyno charts.

Edit: Guess it'd help if I put up the link, can't believe no one said anything: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53874

pepsihatman
10-18-2004, 11:22 AM
Are the civic type R cams better for use with the a b18c1 engine? or would it be better to go with the ITR cams. also new, or used? What's the estimate (money) on CTR cams and accompanying springs vs. the ITR cams and accompanying springs? Are they both going to retain stock emissions, or at least pass? Toda and Skunk2 and all those cams are mad expensive. I can only find them the Toda for about $460 a piece, and the skunk2 for $720 for the pair. If you can recommend a good place to buy these, and perhaps some other performance parts, please let me know.

CivicSpoon
10-18-2004, 12:30 PM
http://www.jdmshit.com/parts/components/index.html
They have the ITR and CTR cams there, says starting at $425+shipping for a pair but doesn't specify which cams are that price. But they'll be cheaper than aftermarket ones. You'd have to call them for specifics on pricing. And I don't know anything about emissions.

-iceman-
10-18-2004, 12:38 PM
I would go with either of the two companies you named before I'd go with a set of OEM camshafts. Both are great companies. I have no experience with Toda, but skunk2 makes some of the best honda (stage 2) camshafts you can buy. And yes, if you upgrade your camshafts to a more aggressive cam, you will need new valve springs and retainers at a minimum.

Again, if your trying to upgrade your camshafts, I would go with either of the two companies you named instead of wasting the money on OEM cams that won't add a significant change in power.

I do hear great things about OEM CTR pistons though. Food for thought.

b18 ls
10-18-2004, 01:01 PM
Do we know if he has a GS-R for sure? If it is VTEC engine, then Skunk 2 and TODA are both great companies, but if it's a non vtec Integra, Crower is the only way to go. Also, valve springs and retainers will be needed.

Gilly-SR
10-18-2004, 01:29 PM
Thanks for all the replys. I do have a GSR. If i were to get the OEM CTR/ITR what kind of gains would i be looking at compared to the Skunk2/toda ones

pepsihatman
10-18-2004, 01:54 PM
Thanks for all the replys. I do have a GSR. If i were to get the OEM CTR/ITR what kind of gains would i be looking at compared to the Skunk2/toda ones

yea?

gsr916
10-18-2004, 04:06 PM
CTR has a larger lobe profile compared to ITR so it will raise your compression slightly higher than ITR cams will. Your stock retainers will work fine you just new springs. If you get some adjustable cam gears you can advance cam timing to raise your compression even more and squeeze out a little more power. Higher compression at TDC also pushes down on your connecting rods a little harder and produce more wear on your crank and rod bearings, so think about that as well. There is always a downside....

b18 ls
10-18-2004, 10:07 PM
If i were to get the OEM CTR/ITR what kind of gains would i be looking at compared to the Skunk2/toda ones
You won't see much gains with the OEM camshafts. They will be much cheaper, but not worth it. If you wont more power out of your cams, you need to go aftermarket. Again, you will see gains with the CTR/ITR cams, but nothing like what you would get from the Skunk2's and TODA's. You can try eBay for a better deal.

Add your comment to this topic!