Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Desperate!! Need help with driver door handle!!!

richrock
10-11-2004, 03:51 PM
Okay, I know nothing about car repair. I usually rely on my local garage to take care of stuff for me. But I'm strapped for cash and have a major problem. The outside handle of my drivers door hasn't worked for a bit. That wasn't really a big problem, I'd just open the door from the inside by reaching across from the passenger side. But now, the inside handle has completely snapped off. I don't really have money to take it into the garage to get fixed quite yet(even though I doubt it too expensive). What I need to know is.....is there a way to open the door from the inside??? I found some metal rod, wrapped in like a fiber coating that I'm guessing was attached to the inside door handle. It moves back and forth just a bit when I lock/unlock the door. Is there a certain way to pull/twist/turn this rod to make the door open? I know this is probably the stupidest way to do things, but it's my only option for right now. Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated.

tjxxx
10-11-2004, 10:31 PM
You need a little plastic piece ,you can get it for about $5.00 at a ford dealer

richrock
10-11-2004, 10:56 PM
Well, I have no idea how to fix the handle, even if I did get the piece. I'm quite sure the actual handle mechanism needs to be welded/riveted back on the door frame. So what I'm wondering is, with this metal rod I have discovered, is there a way to pull/twist/tug on it so I can open the door until I can have the entire thing fixed correctly?? Is there anyway to open the door at all??? Keep in mind, the outside handle has been broken/unattached for sometime also. I'm sure, like you've suggested, the parts to repair the door probably don't cost much, but I wouldn't know how to go about fixing it anyway.

Add your comment to this topic!