Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dana 44 Rear end

iskiuskiweski
10-08-2004, 03:30 PM
I was told that the rear end was a Dana 44, I take it that it was the only one installed on this year and model. My question is do I need the lmited slip additive when I change the lube. I don't know if it is the limited slip type.

rodeo02
10-08-2004, 03:35 PM
If you have a "G80" code on the option tag under hood (firewall), you have a rear LSD. Stick with OEM additive. Others seem to always cause chattering/locking of the rear on turns.
G/luck
Joel

iskiuskiweski
10-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Thanks, I have a leaky seal and can't ge to the seal but want to maintain the fuid level.

iskiuskiweski
10-10-2004, 06:07 PM
Can anyone tell me where the vent is on this rear dif? When I took the filler cap off it was like I as letting the air out my tires there was so much pressure built up. This may be the true culprit of my leaky Pinion seal. I can feel some kind of sensor going into the top of it (anti-lock sensor maybe) but no vent that I can tell. Thanks in advance guys.

rodeo02
10-11-2004, 10:48 AM
The vent has to be somewhere around the top of the pumpkin :uhoh: Keep feeling/poking around on the back axle. You should have a rubber hose/ vent tube routed up high in the body tunnel somewhere. It will have a plastic dust cap on the end of it. The caps can get plugged with mud, thus the high press in the diff.
G/luck
Joel

Dober89
10-11-2004, 11:32 AM
My vent had no tube on it but I think it was around the center section also.

iskiuskiweski
01-04-2005, 08:17 AM
Well I found it. The vent is actually located on the drivers side axle tube, about six inches away from the pumpkin. I followed the tube and found a muffler or something on the end that prevents anything from getting back in there but lets the air out. This valve or muffler was rusted shut, no air flow at all. I replaced it and blew out the lines and now everything is breathing like it should.

iskiuskiweski
01-11-2005, 09:07 AM
The leak has stopped

Add your comment to this topic!