Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92' Explorer Transmission Question

MissAllie
09-29-2004, 06:34 PM
My transmission has bit the dust in my 92 Explorer. I have two questions.

#1 I have found a rebuilt transmission (automatic) with a 1 year 12,000 mile warranty for $525 plus $85 for a new converter. (The new converter is needed for the warranty to be valid because when the transmissions fail they get metal particles throughout the fluid, which can contaminate the old converter, which in turn could contaminate the new transmission and it could blow.) Is this a good price for a rebuilt tranny?

#2 My boyfriend works on cars and his brother is a mechanic for BMW, how hard do you think it would be for them to put in the rebulit tranny? Is it complicated?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

MissAllie
10-25-2004, 05:58 PM
BUMP...can anyone help?

XLT03
10-25-2004, 11:35 PM
Sounds like your boyfriend's brother should not have too much problem if he is mechanic at BMW. The exhaust pipe on the right side may need to be removed to get to the bolts. Remove starter. Also change the vacuum modulator, I don't think one will come with the rebuilt tranny. Common problem with FORD is the modulators leak and tranny fluid is sucked up the tubes and gets into the intake manifold and you'll wonder where all of the trans fuild is disappearing to. As to the R&R of the trans: If this is a 4X2 it's an easier job. If 4X4 then it's more work since transfer case needs to be removed first to get to tranny. They will need tranny jack or floorjack to lift tranny...it's heavy. $525 for tranny is not a bad price and yes always replace convertor at same time, you don't want to get in there a second time - too much work.

Happy wrenching!!! Let us know how the boys did.

Mendari
10-27-2004, 10:35 AM
I checked the fluid and it was full, but it appeared to be dark brown and burnt.
Automatic Transmission fluid should always be bright pink. If the fluid is not completely translusent, then it needs to be changed. Also, you may want to change and refill the oil in the rear differential. A malfunctioning rear differential may be causing stress in the transmission.

Go to the Ford website and create a service account for your Explorer. The website will provide you with the recommended service schedule.

MissAllie
10-27-2004, 02:06 PM
Also, you may want to change and refill the oil in the rear differential. A malfunctioning rear differential may be causing stress in the transmission.

I am not really a do it yourself person, can I go to a quick change shop and have them change the oil in the rear differential?

drstroud
10-28-2004, 12:47 PM
I used to have a 92 Explorer. From the time my parents owned to after I bought and sold it, we put 3 A4LD transmissions in. My advice, plan on putting more in down the road.

MissAllie
10-28-2004, 01:34 PM
I used to have a 92 Explorer. From the time my parents owned to after I bought and sold it, we put 3 A4LD transmissions in. My advice, plan on putting more in down the road.

This is the 2nd rebuilt being put in...3 transmissions for this 92 Explorer if you count the original.

drstroud
10-28-2004, 02:22 PM
At the time I traded in the explorer, it had the third rebuild, fourth total counting the orginal, transmission. Don't know what made them so bad.

Mendari
10-28-2004, 03:03 PM
I am not really a do it yourself person, can I go to a quick change shop and have them change the oil in the rear differential?
Nope, I don't think they would do it. However, it is very inexpensive.

Add your comment to this topic!