Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 Passat wont start, help!

thunting1
09-26-2004, 05:52 PM
Have a 91 Passat that died while going down the freeway. Might have ran out of gas (but not certain), after filling will not start again. Has spark and will start and run as long as I continue to prime it by hand (albeit rough, obviously). When I turn key on initially, I can hear both fuel pumps turn on, and then after attempting to start, both go quiet. Is this a feature or should I hear them after the initial turn of the key?

Here's my thinking, anyone please jump in to show me the error of my ways and enlighten my way!! Heard it might be a relay to the fuel pump(s)--not sure, but seems that if pumps kick on initially, they probably have functioning relays... correct? I would think the same probably applies to the functionality of the pumps themselves, unless there is some kind of two stage wiring, etc? So, Pumps "ok" if I can hear them kick on initially?

Could be as simple as plugged fuel filter, right?--are there one or two filters on this car (the car has just joined the family)? The local parts store wasn't sure. Is there an easy way to check fuel line for flow, and if so, where would I check?

Anything possibly w/ the key and theft program junk or is that only on newer models? Also, someone mentioned a similar problem and said it was due to a "speed sensor". What's that and could it be the cause?

I'm amazed as I've read through the forums at how many potential things could all potentially result in the same thing... no juice. Any, and all of your input is VERY welcome! Thanx in advance!
Have heard that there might be ignition problems that keep car from starting/running--what/where would I check? Have also heard something about the computer controlling fuel flow and/or controlling startability--is this true or do I have innacurate info?

boschmann
09-27-2004, 01:41 PM
I'm assuming this is a 2.0 16 valve engine. If so it has a cis-e fuel injection sytem & is difficult to test fuel pressure as it requires a special gauge set. You can break loose the line coming from the filter to the injection fuel distributor to see if you have pressure when cranking. Or you could put a test light at the pumps to see if they loose power when cranking. You may have a bad ignition switch that is losing power to the pumps in the start position.

thunting1
10-07-2004, 02:29 AM
Since I can hear the pumps when I first turn the key to on, and then when I continue to start (at which point I can't tell if the pumps are running for the noise of the starter) am unsure if they are still pumping, but after letting the key relax to "on" after being in "start", I do not hear the pumps at that point -- is that how the car is designed to function?

Someone mentioned something along these lines to me (that after running for an initial few seconds right at startup, the pumps would kick off, or not be heard), and I am not certain whether I should be hearing the pumps the whole time while the key is on or just for a few seconds upon turning the car on. Which should be it's normal function? Pumps on for a few seconds, then off (or at least not heard), or pumps on initially and continuously as long as the ignition is on?

thanks in advance.

thunting1
10-07-2004, 06:08 AM
I'm assuming this is a 2.0 16 valve engine. If so it has a cis-e fuel injection sytem & is difficult to test fuel pressure as it requires a special gauge set. You can break loose the line coming from the filter to the injection fuel distributor to see if you have pressure when cranking. Or you could put a test light at the pumps to see if they loose power when cranking. You may have a bad ignition switch that is losing power to the pumps in the start position.

One other thing I forgot to ask about: Is it possible that the reason it will not start could be as simple as having air in the fuel lines? After all, this all started w/ what seemed to be running out of gas. I read somewhere where someone suggested that air in the lines could have been the problem for a someone w/ what seemed to be the same problem w/ the same car. Could it be that all I need to do is bleed the fuel lines after running completely out of gas? If so, what's the easiest way to do this?

Thanks again!

boschmann
10-07-2004, 05:27 PM
No, air in the lines wouldn't be a problem. You should put a test light on the pump's wiring to see if they run in the start position. If you can't get to that just check for power at fuse #18, it's after the relay & runs directly to the pumps from that fuse.

Add your comment to this topic!