Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

PRoblem on Valve cover

majinvegeta290
07-23-2004, 09:21 PM
And today I was bored enough to mod my valve cover. Yeah, I finished stripping down the old paint then I realized that I don't have High Temperature Paint. I only had a regular Black Metallic paint I got at Home Depot. I said to myself, I'll paint it later whenever I can find Gunmetal in High Temperature. And when I was putting the cover back on, then screwing the bolt thingie in, it snapped. I'm kinda concern what are the results of this? I have two pictures posted below on how it looks it. Geez... I always have these kind of bad luck.
http://home.comcast.net/~bboyimajin/dc4a_003.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~bboyimajin/dc4a_005.jpg

oh yeah, that's my valve cover there...btw anyone know where I can buy High Temperature spray paint in Gunmetal or Black Chrome?

CivicSpoon
07-23-2004, 09:55 PM
looks like there is enough left to take some vise grips to it to get it off. Spray some penatrator on there and go for it.

boosted k20
07-23-2004, 11:46 PM
lol, i know what u mean about bad luck. i snapped both my screws on my lower suspension when i was doing my spring install.... but then again that is expected with these damn hondas and there screws being rusted to the lower control arm bushings. but thats off the topic so i'll forget about that.

well the worst that can happen is that u will have some oil leaking from ur valve cover which can be pretty messy. how much did u overtighten them bolts bro? u shoulda looked up the torque specs on those bolts before u went and screwed em down.

But the valve cover looks sick!!!! u did a great job in removing the old paint. mad props! How'd u take the old paint off. im interested in doing this to my teg now. i always wanted to do it to my teg's vavle cover but i was going to paint it red. now im think n gun metal will look pretty hot on it, kinda like the mugen valve cover.
so how'd u take the paint off? and i think u could find the high temp engine paint at autozone. not sure about gunmetal, but u can try

majinvegeta290
07-24-2004, 12:49 AM
lol, i know what u mean about bad luck. i snapped both my screws on my lower suspension when i was doing my spring install.... but then again that is expected with these damn hondas and there screws being rusted to the lower control arm bushings. but thats off the topic so i'll forget about that.

well the worst that can happen is that u will have some oil leaking from ur valve cover which can be pretty messy. how much did u overtighten them bolts bro? u shoulda looked up the torque specs on those bolts before u went and screwed em down.

But the valve cover looks sick!!!! u did a great job in removing the old paint. mad props! How'd u take the old paint off. im interested in doing this to my teg now. i always wanted to do it to my teg's vavle cover but i was going to paint it red. now im think n gun metal will look pretty hot on it, kinda like the mugen valve cover.
so how'd u take the paint off? and i think u could find the high temp engine paint at autozone. not sure about gunmetal, but u can try

I checked pepboys, kragen, home depot, autozone...no where to be found! too bad they don't make mugen, or any valve cover for the b18b1. sux balls so you'd have to make your own! all I used to remove the paint was some simple o' Jasco Paint Stripper which I bought at Home Depot but I bet you can find it anywhere else in a hardware store.

yeah as i was tightening the bolts, i thought i did over did it because to after the point where it was tighten already it got loosen again. so i'm all like...wahh shitz. but then a friend of mine said buy some new struds. whatever that mean, because it looks like that the "struds" on the valve cover thingie is stuck to it (like its a part of it) but hey, could there be any wrong if I dont connect that wire you see there in the second picture? i mean what is it for and all.
oh yeah gunmetal would be sick! someone from jdmuniverse said that you won't really need high temperature for the valve cover. oh yeah if you do red, dont go the pure lite red thing... that'll be too bright. try and get a red like this
http://home.comcast.net/~bboyimajin/003.jpg
hehe., that was photoshopped. I just wanted to see how it would look in red.
Not too bad, but Gunmetal might look a lot more sexier especially on your black integra!

when I did the valve cover I had to remove it from the engine, close the hood so stuff wont fly into the engine internals. then sat it down, poor a crap load of Jasco paint remover on it. It ate away the paint in less than a minute! It was cool just watching it, lol. Then I used a towel to smugg the Jasco around so it can cover thoroughly the entire cover. After that I grabbed the water hose and sprayed it off. Lookin fly! And then used a clean towel to clean up all of the water, took it inside the house and had a blow dryer blowing it for like 3-4 hours, heh. I don't want water in leakin out of the valve cover once its back on the engine.
Pretty much it. Since I didnt have the gunmetal high temp paint, I thought I would do it later whenever I find it. Howeever, tomorrow I think I'll just use regular auto gunmetal paint on it.

I found this site online if you want to "polish it"
http://johnmonnin.netfirms.com/PolishingValve.html

integralover
07-24-2004, 01:21 AM
<-----raises hand. yup i have done that same thing. when i did it though i did it to four of them.:banghead:yea stupid huh. i went to the acura dealer and found the studs through them. my studs that i broke off seemed like they were screwed into the head, so i took a 10 mil closed wrench and got them off. but damn they were in there. and get this, i was dumb enough to do it to the cam retainers too.:banghead:that bad. i think my luck is worse.:crying: i had to get a new head. but that is one sick looking valve cover. i've been wanting to do my gunmetal too. thanx for the link.

boosted k20
07-24-2004, 10:55 AM
i think u should reconnect that wire. that wire is a ground wire for the engine. since u cant connect it back right now to the valve cover, find somewhere on the engine where u can bolt it back on, like around the steering pump pulley or somwhere in that vicinity.

and they do make vavle covers for our b18a/b motors. ebay sells em. they have em in chrome, red, and blue. im gonna get me some of that paint stripper and do that to my head. the valve cover doest get that hot, so i guess u can try regular gunmetal paint. post pics when u finsh the job. i wanna see it =)

integralover
07-24-2004, 01:18 PM
yea post some pics when your finished.:useless:i've wanted to use this hehe

Ziggymidget5
07-25-2004, 01:59 AM
I did the same thing, simple fix. It's like a 5$ stud where one side screws into the head, the other on top of the valve cover with nut on it. I think the silver after you stripped it actually looks pretty good. Try searching online for gunmetal paint or try advance auto parts if you haven't already. All those other high temp paints are usually one brand, go to their website, and see if they even make it.

Add your comment to this topic!