Catera Good Car?

hobieracer
06-09-2004, 11:54 AM
I am looking to sell my regal which is begining to act it's age. I see a catera 62k miles and $6500. I've heard rumors of sluggish engines and lots of problems. Whats the word, on the car overall. Things to look for?

sfocht
06-09-2004, 08:40 PM
I bought a 2000 Catera two years ago. Before I did, I test drove the Impala, Bonneville, Alero, and the Buick model above Regal, as far as power goes they all are very close. I thought the Catera had more power, Unless you are paying for the engine upgrade available on most of the other models. Whats is nice about the Catera is that it comes with every option you can think of. It is extremely quite inside and rides like a Cadillac. It is very very comfortable to sit in. The downside is that the car is very quirky. Gas door is made of plastic and will break in cold weather. Drink holder is made of plastic and can break easily. The car is heavy and wears out most tires in 30,000 miles. If something goes wrong it will cost you, everything is computerized. Even the shocks. I have had trouble with the engine idling slow when first starting. If you want relability you may want to try foreign. If you are going for comfort and style you can't go wrong. As bad as this sounds I still love it. You are riding in style for the money.

x_789
06-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Oh man I had a Catera, I loved it when it was running but I spent as much on the car after it was out of warranty a month as I did on my car payment. They are definitely tire eaters and the odd 16.5 tires arenít cheap. I went through a couple sets before they changed the front alignment specs because they would eat the insides off the tires.

The honest truth is the magic number is 300 for anything on that car. My oil sensor when out 300 for it. Front and rear brake job pads only and turn rotors 300 an end. Change timing belt 300. On and on I canít remember how many things broke. And getting parts takes FOREVER since most come from overseas. They also are know to have timing belt issues where the tensioners brake and if you shell the motor. You will pay over or close to the 6500 you are talking about spending to purchase it.

This car was made in Germany by Opel. They run nice and handle great, ride is ok steering is nice. But they eat you alive in the shop. Mine was in the shop in a 6 month period over 10 times. Not including routine maintenance. I highly suggest you do NOT purchase a Catera. Also their resale value is terrible I lost a boat load on mine. If you are looking for a Cadillac get a higher line model that is made in America or look at an older Lexus or something along those lines. They simply donít hold their value and eat you up in the shop. Also look at www.carpoint.com and look at the reviews on them.. X

hobieracer
06-11-2004, 04:25 PM
Thanks... Luckily car was sold... so I didn't have to make that tuff decision.. (peppy car with every option...big past of maint prob) Anyhow the seller told me he only drove the car for a lil while, he was a small dealer, but had checked its service history with cad. and found 2 head gasket changes, adn many other maint related visits in the log...not reg maint.

x_789
06-11-2004, 05:48 PM
Man glad to hear it hobieracer. To this day when I see one I think man I feel sorry for that fellow and I am glad I just took the hit and got out of mine. I lost 3 grand to get out of mine but I am sure in 6 months more I would have spent it on repairs.. ugh.. X

JTrujillo86
08-08-2004, 11:49 PM
That's how I feel when I see people driving Chevrolet Malibus.

Jeremy

Add your comment to this topic!