Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Probe Paint jobs

Lava
05-29-2004, 11:52 PM
I've had my probe for about four years now, it's a 95 SE.

I"ve been toying with the idea of getting a new paint job on it. I have a dent (about the size of a very compact cell phone) and a few scratches (from a little girl hitting my parked car), as well as someone keyed the side of my car, and the paint on my rear bumper is ...peeling...

The car doesn't look like a wreck, despite all of this, but the seals around the driver side of the front windshield is lifting and rust is beginning to set in.

What would my best option be?

Anyone have an idea of how much I shoudl expect to pay?

Anyone ever try Maaco?

Ionic
06-10-2004, 04:33 PM
dont do maaco, they don't sand and could leave you with some uneven paint and look bad. i would seggest you look in your local phone book and look up a few places and find out.

DysProbe
06-11-2004, 01:36 AM
Maaco's not bad if you do the prep work. When you take it to them they just spray on a sealer/primer to get an even color, then they do the base, then the clear. PLus it comes with a warrenty! I'm sure you could talk to them about body work, but this is when the price starts getting higher. Maaco is probably going to be about the cheapest around though. Good luck getting it painted.

kenseth17
06-12-2004, 11:18 AM
Where are you in Wisconsin? I do work on the side if you would be interested, don't have a booth, but clean garage good, and wetsand and buff after. Unemployed and got some bills to pay, so I am working kinda cheap right now. If you take it to a place like maaco or shrieb I suggest you do all sanding and prepping yourself. Mask it up yourself with good 3m tape that will come back off after it is painted. It heard a lot of people saying bad things about these places and the paint going to hell in a year or so. Everyone is different being they are franchises, so make sure you tried to find someone who used the one you are thinking of going to and see how it turned out. I heard they paint like 10 or more cars a day, so they aren't going to do a good job sanding or taping things off, or take trim off the car. Hopefully its not rusting under the windshield at all. The molding may be the type that sits around and under the windshield, and the windshield has to be taken out to get the molding off. Not sure though. At a typical bodyshop, just to prep and paint a car with no bodywork, your looking at around $1500 and up. With this they should use the best paint like deltron or chromabase, and there should be a lifetime warrenty on the paint against peeling and some other things.

marineman12
11-04-2004, 11:54 PM
Where are you in Wisconsin? I do work on the side if you would be interested, don't have a booth, but clean garage good, and wetsand and buff after. Unemployed and got some bills to pay, so I am working kinda cheap right now. If you take it to a place like maaco or shrieb I suggest you do all sanding and prepping yourself. Mask it up yourself with good 3m tape that will come back off after it is painted. It heard a lot of people saying bad things about these places and the paint going to hell in a year or so. Everyone is different being they are franchises, so make sure you tried to find someone who used the one you are thinking of going to and see how it turned out. I heard they paint like 10 or more cars a day, so they aren't going to do a good job sanding or taping things off, or take trim off the car. Hopefully its not rusting under the windshield at all. The molding may be the type that sits around and under the windshield, and the windshield has to be taken out to get the molding off. Not sure though. At a typical bodyshop, just to prep and paint a car with no bodywork, your looking at around $1500 and up. With this they should use the best paint like deltron or chromabase, and there should be a lifetime warrenty on the paint against peeling and some other things.

how much would you charge for a plain black paint job.

mishabo
11-06-2004, 03:14 PM
my probe could use a new paint , bt i don't have the $$$ for it . but what about a buff and wax do u think that would work it a 92 with absloutly no dints or scratches . just dull in some spots

Add your comment to this topic!