Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

engine running hot

KounT
04-07-2004, 12:42 PM
this is probly an easy thing to fix but i'm too stupid to kno wtf is wrong...the past 2 weeks my engine has been running hot. i constantly have to keep filling the extra tank for the radiator every time i get done driving..i asked my dad if i should drain the radiator and refill it but he says that's probly not the problem..i don't really push the car either so that's not the problem..it seems even at 40 it's maybe 3/4 of the way towards that redline and it gets closer the longer i drive..any help on this would be appreciated

whtteg
04-07-2004, 04:52 PM
When the car has been sitting for a while, an I mean the motor is not the least bit hot! Take the radiator cap off and make sure the radiator itself is full.

casperGSR
04-07-2004, 07:36 PM
you should also check for any leaks you might have since you have to keep filling it up (assuming the radiator is at full)... also check you're thermostat and you might as well replace you're radiator cap if you haven't lately...

JakeDrummer
04-07-2004, 09:37 PM
you should also check for any leaks you might have since you have to keep filling it up (assuming the radiator is at full)... also check you're thermostat and you might as well replace you're radiator cap if you haven't lately...

check out your exhaust... got any white smoke? check underhood with the motor running hot... any steam? don't know what else to tell yah... sounds like a leak to me though. hows your hoses? sorry i can't help more.

tsugsr
04-08-2004, 08:15 PM
how many miles do you have on your teg?? as we speak mine is in the shop getting a new radiator, they tend to crack at around 80-90K

KounT
04-08-2004, 08:47 PM
i believe my hoses aren't in pretty good shape..i'm not too sure on how hoses should be in condition but my friend's mom who is kinda like a mechanic said the hoses were pretty new and had been replaced..but i haven't really had time to check for leaks or anything...tsu i have 185k on my teg and i'm not sure when this one was replaced and what not and i wouldn't kno what to look for in a bad radiator either...but if i do have to get it replaced how much would it be around?

4drLS
04-09-2004, 08:33 AM
check for white smoke and look around ur head for any leaks...could be a head gasket if so get fixed now dont run it will warp ur head and u will be in even for trouble....check all ur hoses and radiator for leaks and replace thermostat

Add your comment to this topic!