1995 Explorer Premium sound, PROBLEMS!

Mistich
03-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Hey all,
I just recently installed a head unit on my explorer which happens to have a premium sound system. Long story short : I had to use an integration wiring harness to install the unit, which means that the JBL amp that came with the explorer premium sound package is supposed to be powering the speakers, not the head unit itself.. I got everything hooked up after double checking my wiring, and the unit powers on but there is no sound coming out of the speakers. I've checked the JBL fuse in the distribution box, and 2 fuses on the fuse panel itself. Anyone have any ideas why im not getting any sound, or could point out where the JBL amp is located so I could check it out?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sabinsexplorer
03-04-2004, 11:18 PM
the amps on the explorers are usually put in the passenger side wall in the back its a pain in the a** to get to alot of screws and them dumb popper things. there are no fuses if i remember right its been a month or to since i had it takin a part. you might want to try putting the original deck back in and see if that works if that dont work then you might just have a fried wire probably going to the amp.

cf3232
03-17-2004, 03:26 PM
Believe me, I have been into car stereo for a long time. Wired many sound systems in cars and from experience just bypass that amp. I tried everything for my 95 ford explorer to get that amp to work with my aftermarket deck. I could not get it to work. It was a long time ago and I forget why I gave up on it, but I know that it was a legit technical reason. Same reason I did not get the antenna to work on the vehicle. The antenna works on a reverse polarity switch. I never wired up a circuit to make the antenna work so I do not have a radio in the car. CD's are better. The reverse polarity switch for the antenna is in the amp, as is the tuner for the dummy radio that sits in the front of the car, as is the connection for the antenna to the tuner.

Sorry for the bad news, but you can learn from others experiences.

1995 Ford Explorer Limited JBL Premium Sound

Later

Mistich
03-17-2004, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I ended up bypassing the amp and everything works great. I've installed an amp and 2 Xtant 12 inch sub, and it sounds awesome.

cf3232
03-18-2004, 12:54 PM
I am a little old school. I have a Precision Power ProMos 450 and two Kicker 12 Solo-Baric's. Crank it up and enjoy!!!!!!

Thanks for the help guys, I ended up bypassing the amp and everything works great. I've installed an amp and 2 Xtant 12 inch sub, and it sounds awesome.

OnceFDmanAlwFDMan
06-05-2004, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE=cf3232]Believe me, I have been into car stereo for a long time. Wired many sound systems in cars and from experience just bypass that amp. I tried everything for my 95 ford explorer to get that amp to work with my aftermarket deck.

Hey, How do you bypass that amp, just run new wire or is there a trick by placing jumpers or simply unplugging amp?

Thanks!

cf3232
06-09-2004, 09:31 PM
[QUOTE=cf3232]Believe me, I have been into car stereo for a long time. Wired many sound systems in cars and from experience just bypass that amp. I tried everything for my 95 ford explorer to get that amp to work with my aftermarket deck.

Hey, How do you bypass that amp, just run new wire or is there a trick by placing jumpers or simply unplugging amp?

Thanks!

I just ran wire to the back of the truck to the factory wires that go to the factory speakers. It creates resistance running the wire from the deck or amp to those speaker wires to the factory amp/wires, but I used a heavy gauge wire fom my deck to the factory speaker wire.
Hope that helps!!

Later

juanitamwilliams
06-11-2004, 10:47 AM
I just ran wire to the back of the truck to the factory wires that go to the factory speakers. It creates resistance running the wire from the deck or amp to those speaker wires to the factory amp/wires, but I used a heavy gauge wire fom my deck to the factory speaker wire.
Hope that helps!!

Later
Can you give me more specific details on how to do this? I am a beginner at all this. I have power to my new radio and it picks up a signal, but no sound. I have a 91 explorer and this is the second after market radio in it. Thanks.

oo4playmrright
06-17-2004, 08:50 PM
yeah, my sis has a 93 and i cannot figure out how to power that stupid amp on, trial and error didn't work. lol. so in theory i could dig out the amp in the back, and just run wires around it, right? i don't feel like running any more wires than i have to. she's not looking for quality, just mp3 capability

oo4playmrright
06-18-2004, 09:13 PM
so today i dug out the stock amp, and bypassed it, taped up the power and ground to it, and then tried to install the new head unit, but it wasen't getting power. do the battery leads go through the amp before they go to the deck? i'm lost, i checked all my connections, and fuses, etc. but i have no idea where ford ran those wires. any help is welcome, i hope the deck/face plate didn't die on me.

BigBadWimp
06-19-2004, 02:28 PM
Could someone tell me nice and specifically where the amp is on a 94 explorer? I didn't know if "back" meant around the back seat or back in the way back.

oo4playmrright
06-19-2004, 03:55 PM
way in the back, it's under the huge panel on the passenger side. it's a pain in the tail to get out

BigBadWimp
06-20-2004, 01:26 PM
Sounds fun.... Thanks.

icu400
06-23-2004, 09:33 AM
Its actually pretty easy to get out. Here is what you do:

Pry out the back bump plate at the back of the trunk. Pull up the carpet around the passenger side trim panel in the trunk. There will be a few screws holding it down. Take um out. Use a flat head to patiently pry out the trim clips. That is the hardest part. Use a torx T50 bit to take off the seatbelt on that side, then slide it through the hole. Now your panel is off. Then just use a socket to take the amp out. Done.

Always bypass that crappy amp, any built in amp on your new hu will beat the pants off that thing.

Lightlord
07-19-2014, 05:55 PM
Hello Friends .
95 Ford Explorer Radio Lost some power and sound .
While working on my AC unit in the dash , I had to move the Radio around quite a bit .
Now I have lost some sound/power .
When the car is turned on , sounds fine but within a minute the sound starts to die until it barely audible . Seems like I may have damaged the power unit ?
Any ideas ?
Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!