Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 J30 83K No service history???!!!

lfootmatt
02-29-2004, 10:10 PM
I'm currently looking at a 93 J30 for aroung $4500 with 83K miles. usually I look for a good service history. However, the individual selling it (long story) has only had it a week. I don't think he is trying to rip me off, his story seems reasonable.

Car looks and drives very well. Rotors need to be turned. looks like some small seepage under the engine, I will take a closer look at that.

Strange thing, turn off the A/C completely and this chunk-chunk, chunk-chunk noise comes from center of the dash. It goes for a while and stops, sometimes longer, some shorter. Turn the system on (in any mode) and it stops immediately. Any Ideas A/C blows super cold!

Smoked in, but not bad, the car doesn't appear to be abused in any way. What to do, and more importantly what to look for!!!!

If I buy it will be contingent on a clean engine and transmission oil analysis.

Thanks!!!

lantonelli13
03-08-2004, 01:05 AM
i bought one at about the same mileage.
I had to do major work on the ball barings, arm brackets and suspension on the front cause its quite heavy and i would recommend that (@ least 500 dollar work)
also reccomend snow tires or weight in the trunk if u live in a cold region. cause the j30 is one of the worst bad weather cars to drive. The mix of light medium sized sedan with rear wheel drive doesnt blend well. They drive like a sports car when its nice out (same engine platform as the 300zx minus the turbo explains that)

rafaelrm
03-18-2004, 11:10 AM
I have a 93 J30 and it makes the same noise when you turn off the a/c. The only thing that seems to stop that is to press the "recycle air" button, the one that closes the vent to the outside. It works for me!! Good luck.

lfootmatt
03-19-2004, 10:57 PM
rafaelrm,

The only thing I can think of is that one of the doors is trying to open or shut and can't. Thats what it sounds like. Blows colder than anything I've ever had so I'm happy with it.

infinman
05-12-2004, 01:23 PM
The j30 does have a problem with a component called the mode door motor located on the left side of the ac/heater unit.this is most probably your problem.
Good luck

Add your comment to this topic!