Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Should We Buy!?!?!

SilverLotus340R
02-02-2004, 06:43 PM
We are looking at a 1996 SE7 Discovery

78,000 miles
Brush guard
Jump Seats
Duel Moon Roofs w/ shades (one missing a clip)
4wd
ABS
Back Step
Lamp Gaurds
Running boards
leather

i've driven it and its really nice!
They are asking 9 grand and the KBB retail says around 11
I've looked @ the (free) Carfax and it says 15 records found..I havent seen any of the reasons or what they actually are..

Just want to know if this is anything worth looking at?
What problems are normal in a 1996 Disco?

Thanks for any responses

Cbass94
02-03-2004, 10:46 AM
Make sure you listen closely to the engine. A few things to check, some monor, some a little more major. Listen for a clicking noise. This would be either the tappets or the lifters. It is quite expensive to have either work done and this was common on some of the earlier land rovers.

Also listen to the tensioner pulleys for the belts on the front of the engine. They are notorious for going out if the car has been through much water. Alternators are sometimes something to look at, but not always.
When you drive it, also listen for wheel bearing noises. If when you turn you hear a faint grinding on one side more than the other, this could be wheel bearings. Especially listen for this if it has been off road very much.
Other things are just little usually. My dad's discovery has overall been a really good car. We have "put it through the paces" so to speak too.
Oh yeah, and one more minor thing to check. Listen when you switch between accelerating and letting off if you hear any u-joint noise. Or ask if he has had them replaced recently. At 78,000 miles, they are probably getting close depending on how hard it was driven.
BTW, if you do end up getting it (which I would recommend) and you want a really good site with Land rover parts cheap, try www.rovercity.com. The website is under construction, but give them a call and Mohammed will surely help you out. I am a land Rover man, I love them. They are great cars and are phenomenal off-road. They do have their quirks, but the pros outweigh the cons in my opinion. Most of the problems with them are normal problems that almost any car of the same age would have. The engines run and run for ever though.
Good luck with it!
-Brad :grinno: :iceslolan

SilverLotus340R
02-06-2004, 03:38 PM
Thanks Brad for all the great advice!!!

I'll have to keep it in mind later on when we are lookin into them again.
my father just called to make an offer and YESTERDAY some old lady bought it yesterday. She was going to go to florida for the season and buy one down there but instead she bought this one and is taking it down there with her. grrrrrrrrrr not happy me

thanks anyways brad!

RACER D12
02-06-2004, 08:13 PM
Old+Florida+Land Rover :eek7: Just what we all need another old lady driving a car she probably cant even see over the steering wheel of. Why does she need a Landy in Florida? Anyways yea Land rovers are awesome my dad has a 96 and I think its a great car. NOTHING comes close to Land Rover when it comes to off road capability and luxury. We have had some issues with the car but I think its more just this car and not all Discoveries.

Craigmax
05-17-2004, 08:54 PM
dat sucks

Add your comment to this topic!