Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Rodeo Steering

mic0157
01-30-2004, 05:49 PM
I have a 97 Rodeo that shakes the steering wheel back and foth after reaching high speeds. Recent alignments and balancing have not fixed the issue. Could this be a gearbox or bushing problem? Any suggestions?

Cat Fuzz
01-31-2004, 11:14 PM
Seems odd that after an alignment and wheel balance you would still have the problem. Unless the shop you took it to isn't doing their job. An alignment includes a complete sterring linkage inspection to make sure none of the parts are worn. Maybe try taking it to a different shop. You might be gettin jacked around.

mic0157
01-31-2004, 11:24 PM
Could this be a sing that the gears in the steering linkage are damaged somehow? Its a pretty penny to fix, but its the only thing i can think of. I have taken it to 2 different Isuzu dealerships. One could not find anything wrong, and the second did the alignment. The tread on the tires has a diamond shape to it. On the inside, the forward most part of the tread wears down before teh rest. Any more suggestions?

cheekbn
02-01-2004, 08:40 AM
Mic,

I too have the same issue with my 95.5 Rodeo. The problem with mine is the steering is loose but all steering components are in good order and it has a good allignment.

When traveling down the road my steering wheel will travel from 12 o'clock to about 2 o'clock without the vehicle traveling with it. In my case it is a sign that the steering gear box needs to be adjusted or replaced. I will be doing this probably today. If this does not work, then the gearbox has to be replaced.

If you were wondering what I am talking about, there is a screw with a nut around it on the top of the gear box. Break the nut loose and give the screw a 1/8" turn to adjust the tention in the box. Re-tighten the nut and test drive. Keep doing this until you are happy with the results or you feel there is no salvation to the box. Hope this helps.

Brent

rodeo02
02-01-2004, 11:44 AM
You need to have the tires balanced on a SPECIFIC balancing machine for rodeos with the vib issue. IIRC- it's called a "hunter-5000" balancing machine. This machine puts a heavy weight load on the tire as it balances it and is much more accurate than a typical balancer. Make sure your front sway bar end links are in good shape & your shocks are solid. Weak front shocks make the wheels hop like crazy on rodeos.
G/luck
Joel

mic0157
02-04-2004, 07:48 PM
The 12 o'clock to 2 o'clock describes the condition. Please let me know how the adjustment on the gear box goes. I have considered doing that but getting to the nut is quite cumbersome. Let me know if you have any tips on how to get in there.

As far as the balancing goes, I'm not too sure that would solve the problem. This all began after I had to be towed out of the mud on an unfortunate night. So I think for now the gear box might be the point of attack.

Side-bar, if end up replacing the gearbox, would I have to get the alignment done again?

rollin_on13s
02-11-2005, 12:58 PM
I have a '97 with the exact same problem [started a couple of thousand miles ago at 90K]

Last weekend, I replaced all four shocks with new, and this week, I had all four wheels/tires balanced and rotated. I also had a four-wheel alignment.

The shimmy persists. I adjusted the steering box last night. I went from way too tight to loose again in increments just to see how the vibration would be effected. Almost no change.

I did discover this; with the front end suspended, and the steering column unlocked, overall the front end feels pretty tight. But if I bounce the steering wheel lightly [like with two fingers], the wheel will shake back and forth without turning the stearing gear. Basically, the shaft that goes into the steering box has a good amount of sloppiness against the gears- but adjusting the pressure on the box does nothing. What gives??

Even with the steering box adjusted way too tight, there is still alot of play going into the box. I doesn't seem believeable that the box is completely worn out- I know it isn't, because I can feel the resistance against the adjsuting bolt. On the road, the steering can be way too tight (almost hard to steer) but the "play" persists.

Make sense to anyone?

steveb_92rodeo
02-11-2005, 01:07 PM
I have a '97 with the exact same problem [started a couple of thousand miles ago at 90K]

Last weekend, I replaced all four shocks with new, and this week, I had all four wheels/tires balanced and rotated. I also had a four-wheel alignment.

Did you miss Joel's suggestion? I've heard of a few people rid themselves of this issue by having the tires balanced on this particular (load simulating) balancer.

You'll have to phone around...not all service depots/tire shops house this equipment.

Steve

Add your comment to this topic!