Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Installing exhaust on a stock 99 Civic

mo92
01-24-2004, 01:20 PM
When putting an aftermarket exhaust on a 99 civic Si do you have to cut out alot of the bumper to get the muffler to fit?

GScivic7
01-24-2004, 02:45 PM
no, none at all

SilverY2KCivic
01-24-2004, 08:19 PM
no, none at all

Agreed. With pretty much ANY exhaust system you install on your Civic, you should NOT have to cut out any part of the body or bumper for it to fit correctly. It should just simply bolt in in an hour of time at most.

chimchim
01-25-2004, 03:16 AM
What if the bolts are all rusty and stuck... and WD40 does NOT do the trick and I don't have access to an impact gun. Any suggestions?

The flange seems to have little springs on the bolts, does that mean it's gonna be really hard to put the thing back together?

Black99Ex
01-26-2004, 12:46 AM
What if the bolts are all rusty and stuck... and WD40 does NOT do the trick and I don't have access to an impact gun. Any suggestions?

The best trick to get off rusty exhaust bolts is an acetylene torch... wear gloves... and heat up the nut for a lil bit.. and use a wrench, or air ratchet to get it off... works like a charm everytime

The flange seems to have little springs on the bolts, does that mean it's gonna be really hard to put the thing back together?

nope its really easy to get them back on, the spring is just to allow that section of the exhaust to have some flexibility

hope it helps! :iceslolan

chimchim
01-26-2004, 01:10 PM
The best trick to get off rusty exhaust bolts is an acetylene torch... wear gloves... and heat up the nut for a lil bit.. and use a wrench, or air ratchet to get it off... works like a charm everytime

I've heard of this before... so do I torch the bolt or aim for the threads (like where I spray WD40) or should I torch the flange?

Do I let it cool a little before I wrench it?

Is the theory behind this that you expand the bolt with heat to break the rusty seal, and then it should be able to go?

Oh yeah, and what's the best way to get the rubber hanger off the old exhaust and then onto the new one? Just brute force?

SilverY2KCivic
01-26-2004, 01:24 PM
Oh yeah, and what's the best way to get the rubber hanger off the old exhaust and then onto the new one? Just brute force?

Vasaline. Works like a charm and with little effort at most. ;) Just make sure you wipe it all off before you put them back on (including inside the hols of the rubber piece that slides over the metal hangers), otherwise they will be easy to slide back off under vibration.

Black99Ex
01-26-2004, 01:48 PM
I've heard of this before... so do I torch the bolt or aim for the threads (like where I spray WD40) or should I torch the flange?

Do I let it cool a little before I wrench it?

Is the theory behind this that you expand the bolt with heat to break the rusty seal, and then it should be able to go?

Torch the nut on the end of the bolt, not the flange itself really.. and take the nut off immediately... and watch out obviously, cuz its going to be hot, and i just brute force the rubber hangers off.. vaseline should be good tho as someone said above.

GScivic7
01-26-2004, 05:56 PM
WD40 also works great on the rubber hangers

Miataracer
01-26-2004, 08:50 PM
PB Blast works much much better than WD 40 to help free stuck bolts

GScivic7
01-26-2004, 10:07 PM
we're not talking about bolts though, we're talking about rubber hangers

CivicSiRacer
01-26-2004, 10:34 PM
I used good ole fashion leverage to get my bolts off. I slipped a pipe over my socket and just pryed :)

But yeah PB blast works better than WD40.

Add your comment to this topic!