Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Warning ordering 6th gen Si rear sway bar from HondaAutomotiveParts.com

chimchim
01-20-2004, 12:54 PM
Don't worry, nothing bad about the company (www.hondaautomotiveparts.com), but I ordered a 1999 Civic Si OEM rear sway bar and all the components from them for a guaranteed fit to my 97 EX with all necessary parts.

Turns out, it's not so perfect.

You have to order all parts individually, but there's a flaw in the picture and inventory! There is one missing part, so you don't know to order it. The missing part is 4 8mm locking nuts that are needed to bolt the mounts to the sub chassis. These nuts appear nowhere in the appropriate place in the picture. However, I think you can buy other 8mm nuts from another part of the picture for a different part and it'll work, but I haven't done it. I don't see why it wouldn't work though.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13S020_J13.gif

In this picture, directly from hondaautomotiveparts, it's part #36. These bolts need locking nuts. But I don't see them in the picture... do you? I think part #24, 8mm flange nut will do the trick. You need 4 of 'em.

I had thought something was wrong when I was ordering, but bolt #35 does not need nuts because the mounts actually have threads for them. So that was confusing.

Anyways, I hope this helps people.

Shipping is reasonably fast, and totall cost for this new Si bar was ~$175 shipped. I've already gotten burned once being told a GSR sway is a direct fit for civic (it's not, you need Si endlinks and Si mounts) and I think I almost got burned from a guy selling a broken sway bar. So I went this route to be sure. Dealer tries to rip you off for $250+ for a new one.

BullShifter
01-20-2004, 03:07 PM
That's a lot of money for a small stock sway bar . . .I'd recommend getting a ST rear sway from www.jegs.com that includeds all needed parts - $120

chimchim
01-20-2004, 06:32 PM
Yeah, it's pretty expensive. A thicker ST or anything is probably cheaper. However, you gotta have upgraded springs/shocks/coilovers, unless you want to shred your subchassis.

No aftermarket manufacturer makes a 13-14mm rear sway bar. So if you're running OEM suspension, then you want OEM sways. Lots of people out there in this situation.

BullShifter
01-21-2004, 12:32 AM
Yeah, it's pretty expensive. A thicker ST or anything is probably cheaper. However, you gotta have upgraded springs/shocks/coilovers, unless you want to shred your subchassis.

No aftermarket manufacturer makes a 13-14mm rear sway bar. So if you're running OEM suspension, then you want OEM sways. Lots of people out there in this situation.
I highly doubt anyone will tear up the frame on stock suspension. If thats the case, then I suggest getting the beaks reinforcement kit.
Aftermarket sway bars(mainly rear) will increase overall handling without affecting ride quality like lowering does.

chimchim
01-21-2004, 01:21 PM
More close up pics in this thread (http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?s=&postid=206024#post206024) and talking about making a GSR sway bar fit the civic.

SilverY2KCivic
01-21-2004, 08:59 PM
I've already gotten burned once being told a GSR sway is a direct fit for civic (it's not, you need Si endlinks and Si mounts) and I think I almost got burned from a guy selling a broken sway bar. So I went this route to be sure. Dealer tries to rip you off for $250+ for a new one.

ANY OEM Honda bar you chose to mount on a Civic HAS TO BE installed using 6th gen Si endlinks. This is because Integra links are a shorter length than the Si links. I have an Integra Type-R bar on my '00 DX coupe, and using the Beak's kit that bar is a simple 15-20 minute DIRECT bolt on!

As for the bolts you need, just go to your local dealership and tell them you need 4 of the "self locking" washers used for mounting the swaybar. I did that when I originally had an Si bar on my car (that a friend sold me) and they gave me a whole friggen bag of them for free, LOL! They said they had a bunch of them laying around. You could always also go to any hardware store and have them find you matching nuts in a mm size that will work with the bolts you need them for.

BTW for those not knowing, keep in mind with the Si bar, the bolts that connect the swaybar buishings to the subframe mount have the nuts WELDED to the mount from the factory. You only need to worry about getting the nuts to the bolts that connect the mount to the frame itself, so bolt #36 you'll need 4 matching nuts to.

Add your comment to this topic!