Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

has anyone heard of this!?

macSHEESH
01-12-2004, 03:44 PM
hi i have a rsx typs recently i made the mistake of lending my mom my car while her's was at the bodyshop and now my car is at acura service, it seems that the clutch and other related parts have worn out, i'm not sure if its directly related to my driving or her's, but anyway acura service has informed me that wear and tear, milage is 26,000 approx., is not covered by the warranty and they said total parts are 646.00 and installation with parts is $1,411 !!! I was surprised to hear that. Have any of you run into similar problems such as this? should i just swallow the 1400 or should i take it to a normal mechanic, does acura sometimes binge with prices and bill you for things that you really don't need, clearing this up would be really appreciated thnx for your help in advance

RSX-S777
01-12-2004, 05:26 PM
Dealerships always rape you on parts and service, but I think that is the least of your problems. What the hell are you doing to your car that "your clutch and other related parts" are shot at 26K?! :confused: If you are a good driver and havent beat on the car (do you race?) I would question the mechanic- but that seems unbelievable to me- having to replace a clutch on a Honda with low mileage. If you do decide to fix it, just take it to an independent mechanic to compare prices, although I don't know what, if anything, that would do to your warrantee. Do you have a detailed list of the parts they wanted to replace?

macSHEESH
01-12-2004, 05:59 PM
I'm a pretty level headed guy, 20 in college, i don't mod or race, no speeding/any types of driving tickets, not meaning to jinx myself.

This was my first car and I did learned stick on it, but i don't believe i did any damage. I think this may have arose from driving in reverse while parking and then popping it to 1st gear and gasin it before the car completely stopped from going backwards, this was followed by a "plastic burning smell" of some sort that disappeared after I continued driving, I know dumb but i stopped doin that.

But during the last real snow storm here in NY, which was about 1 month ago, I was in traffic on the highway did many 2nd gear launchs so that car wouldn't slip other than that i couldn't imagine a serious problem like this arising, does any one know common mistakes that are made by 1st time manual drivers that I may not know of.

FYI, I just did a NY state inspection 5 days ago where the "inspector"/supposed mechanic, put it on a dyno type machine for the front tires where he accerlated aggressively in order to test emissions, in which the exhaust was hooked up to a tube, I passed of course, honestly i'm totally clueless, thinkin now of every possible thing that may have caused this.

Thnx for your help I'm now tryin to find a good mechanic around the area, is anyone here from Brooklyn, NY?

macSHEESH
01-12-2004, 06:03 PM
The items that needed to be replaced were"
1. the clutch
2."balancing" fluid (which i do believe is part of the clutch)
3.Disks that have rubbed each other or so the acura service advisor told me.

RSX-S777
01-13-2004, 05:35 PM
I have to give you credit, the Type-s is a tough car to learn stick with. Sounds like "all of the above" would contribute to a fu**ked up clutch. On the bright side, youre lucky you didnt trash your transmission. If it were me, I'd just blame it on my mom. :iceslolan Unfortunately, that kind of damage on a Honda with low miles is definitely beyond the realm of normal wear and tear and youll probably end up with no choice but to absorb it. That sucks man, but check into an independent mechanic. He may be cheaper, but depends on how he gets the parts.

macSHEESH
01-14-2004, 08:04 AM
i realized my mistake, I tend to rest my left, clutch foot, on or slightly above the clutch, this I guess is called 'riding' the clutch. At this time the clutch is still not fully disengaged and that causes the wear and tear, but I shocked that a very slight amount of pressure on the clutch, which kinda heavy to dump, would not allow the clutch to fully disengage. Is this true. Thnx for your help. I talked to acura service and they have decided to take 10% off which helps but not by that much, total amount is $1270.00 plus tax. I having it done by them.

Add your comment to this topic!