Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How the heck do I take off the kick panel for a 1996 Civic?

kn1ghtrydr
01-11-2004, 02:46 PM
What's up,
I've got the dreaded CEL on in my civic, and I've read enough to understand how to jump the ECU and read the blinking lights. So I go to get to the ECU on the passenger side... but the panel refuses to come off! I removed the big black plastic bolt which holds the panel to the floor under the glove box, but I can't remove the smaller grey plastic bolt on the side of the panel. I'm pulling on it, but it looks like it wasn't meant to come out. Am I supposed to just yank it out of there or am I just missing another bolt to take off the panel? PLEASE HELP!
thanks,
Jake

95civicCX
01-11-2004, 02:53 PM
My buddy had the same problem once man, he ended up kicking it and what do you know, it worked. So my advice would be to kick the shit out of it.

emerge
01-11-2004, 04:27 PM
It's pretty easy to get off actually. The trick is that it has 2-3 slots which slide over little tabs which are under the inner plastic. Try pulling down and then to left. I think thats how I did it. Also, look up further into the foot area (near the front), I believe it bolts on up there also.

KrNxRaCer00
01-11-2004, 04:36 PM
here's the process...

1. go outside
2. find a really heavy stick/log/branch etc...
3. walk into garage
4. open car door
5. hit panel w/ heavy stick/log/branch etc...

:biggrin:

emerge is right, should jus be able to sorta "shimmy" it out.

Plasmex
01-11-2004, 07:22 PM
Slides off.. I dont even use the screws in mine
its like a snaptight model.. haha

chimchim
01-12-2004, 01:57 AM
Seriously though, pull the hell outta that little plug on the side. It doesn't want to come out... but just make it. It's basically a barbed plug.

H.tech
01-12-2004, 11:08 AM
ok there is two plastic pushin clips i guess you can call them grab a pair of needle nose pliers and wiggle them off . once you get them off pull towards the rear of the car and up at the same time you should get it .

Kinked210
01-13-2004, 10:51 PM
Emerge...i wanna do ur car..its sexy

Add your comment to this topic!