Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need advice on BHG!!!

GundamSV7
01-04-2004, 07:31 PM
Hey, I blew a head gasket on my 1993 Honda Civic LX. Well, I think it's a head gasket anyway, there's white smoke coming out of my exhaust. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice as to what to do and how much it'll cost. Also, anyone have any idea how long the car will run like this?

BullShifter
01-05-2004, 12:24 AM
If it is the head gasket, you'll want to replace it ASAP - why do more damage & increase your repair bill. If you have basic mechanical skills, civic head gaskets are as simple as it can get. Get yourself a factory repair manaul from www.helminc.com Your looking $400-$1000+ for a shop to do the repairs. Keep driving it & you may over-heat causing the head to crack/warp - heads aren't cheap, machining is.

Check your oil on the dipstick & open the oil filler cap - do you see a white substance?

GundamSV7
01-05-2004, 03:26 PM
ok, how much do you think it'll cost for just the parts and is there any free online guide? I only have about $130 total right now so I don't really want to spend money on a $30 manual if there's a free one. Also there is no white substance on either area you told me to check.

GundamSV7
01-05-2004, 03:27 PM
O yea, another thing is the engine is overheating everytime i drive for more than around 5min, is there anyway to keep the temp down?

BullShifter
01-06-2004, 12:48 AM
Honda's parts dept.'s don't all have the same prices, so I would suggest calling them & asking how much the parts would be. Tell them your doing a head gasket & need all required parts. Yes this will be higher than a parts store, but you'll get all the right stuff in 1 trip - well most of the time.

Online cheaper Honda parts - http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

Honda manuals usually run $60+
online - http://www.icelord.net/honda/repair/

There's a lot more to it than just changing a head gasket, if that's even the problem. Start with a compression test. I don't know your skill level. Besides the head gasket, you should replace the timing belt, water pump, drive belts since your in there. Once the head is off have it inspected/machined & cleaned. I can't list all the do's/dont's because there are too many, and I really don't feel like typing that much. Best advice, take it to someone who is capable of doing the job or follow a manual.

Proper torque is key*

O yea, another thing is the engine is overheating everytime i drive for more than around 5min, is there anyway to keep the temp down?

Yes there is a way, DON'T FUCKIN' DRIVE IT! :nono: Unless your planning on an engine swap, $130 sure aint gonna pay for that. You can't even get a Geo Metro 3 banger(1.0L?) for $130.

GundamSV7
01-06-2004, 03:48 PM
ok, thnx, I got a quote for $650 for the complete job from an autobody shop :)

Add your comment to this topic!