Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 Stratus Heater Problem

defcon5000
01-02-2004, 09:04 PM
I have a fairly new 2002 Dodge Stratus v-6 2.7 L vehicle. I have noticed since I have had the car it has a heater problem. The car seems not capable of blowing hot air while its in park. Most cars when started and warmed up, begin to blow hot air. During this winter, I started the car up and let it sit for over 15 to 20 minutes, I come out to see that the windows are still not defrosted and that it is blowing cold air. Not sure whats going on and the fact that I had somewhere to go, I brushed off the windows and went on my way. To my surprise by the time I got to the end of the road the car instantly was blowing out a heatwave. Over the last week I have noticed this same problem, my wife left the car sit for 45 minutes and still it blew out cold air, but as soon as she went down the road it began blowing out hot air again. What would be the things I should do to correct this problem. I am beside myself, where should I check first. I have never heard of a problem like this.

vcvlb
01-03-2004, 12:47 PM
I had the same problem. Took mine to the dealer yesterday. Turns out there was a problem with the thermostat and the cooling system. It was covered by the warranty

haltermn
03-07-2004, 04:01 PM
I had the same problem with my car. Ended up being a cracked cooling housing. Replaced it and works like a charm now.

MrRoscoePC
03-24-2004, 08:37 PM
The top of the thermostat housings on these engines has a brass insert cast into it. These castings sometimes fail to seal and allow air to bleed into the cooling system and coolant to seep out. The coolant is orange and you can see its crusty orange grime around the bleeder screw on the top of the thermostat housing. There is also a special fill procedure with a special funnel and clamp that HAVE to be used to fill the cooling system properly. It may be still under warranty. Check it out, yours is only one of MANY cars with this problem with this engine.
RG

Add your comment to this topic!