Sequential 3.8L V6 - Firing Order Not Working

pad2003
12-03-2003, 06:55 PM
My grandparents (and I) have an 86 Oldsmobile Delta 88 but at one point in time, the engine was replaced. Getting this car registered was a nightmare since the decal on the door had worn off before I bought it.

Anyhow - the engine is a Sequential 3.8L V6. The ignition system (which I assume is standard) has 3 separate components that can be changed individually compared with changing the entire unit like with most cars today. As recent as last week (if you were standing infront of the car looking into the engine), the far left ignition coil was replaced and the car ran with limited problems except for the plug was faulty and was arching on the screws which hold it in place. My grandfather changed the plugs and wires but during that time, may have inadvertantly crossed the points so the firing order was messed up.

This is where things get crazy. From Checker Auto Parts and the owners manual (to confirm), I had printed out the firing order (1-6-5-4-3-2) and it also showed that on the engine block (again, if you were standing infront of the car looking into the engine) had a designated assignment of:
2 - 4 - 6
1 - 3 - 5
(front of car)

Of course, there is no diagram of whether the firing order begins left to right or right to left so of course, I tried both ways but to no avail.

My questions are especially since the car was running rather well, though not perfect:

1. Is this engine the same replacement (type - sequential vs transversal) as what was in there when it was stock?
2. Any suggestions on the firing order?
3. Is it probable (not possible) that with only replacing 1 of the 3 ignition coils, that the car no longer wants to turn over?

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'd be willing to try.

Thanks - PAD

Bill V
12-03-2003, 10:34 PM
The 3 coil is the Magnavox type. I believe the order from left to right (as you face the coils) is: 1 4 2 5 3 6

greengumby
01-07-2004, 10:21 AM
3.8L (VIN B and 3 series engines )
firing order is 1-6-5-4-3-2

ok heres the diagram

6 4 2
3 5 1

2 4 6

<---FRONT OF ENGINE

1 3 5

OK draw lines from the engine numbers to the same numbers on the coil thats the wires

now the 3.8L (VIN C,1,L,and K)
firing order 1-6-5-4-3-2

*********FRONT OF CAR
5-----3-------1------------------- 4 1
---------------------------------- 2 5
front of engine-->>>----------------6 3
-----------------------------------------
6-----4-------2

ignore the "------" it's to keep the numbers from messing up

according to the Chiltons and Hanes and the service manual :)

Hope this helps

Add your comment to this topic!