Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

intakes..cold/short/ ahhhhh!

Shinnypoo
10-18-2003, 12:02 AM
what exactly is the difference in performance between a cold air intake and a short ram intake. WHich one is better for an rsx-s. has anyone tried the new aem v2 for the rsx-s?

BullShifter
10-21-2003, 12:19 AM
Short-ram intake is short & sucks air from the engine bay
Cold-air intake is long & sucks cooler air from outside the engine bay, usually located in the fender well.
Most quality cold-air's can be changed between cold-air & short-ram. Make sure to buy a 2-piece intake.

AEM intakes are a waste of $$$$ IMO - intake brands aren't gonna make a noticeable difference except for you bank account. The filter on the matters more than the actual tubing.

92teggsr
10-21-2003, 12:33 AM
I would mostly agree that brands don't matter but on a RSX Type-S it actually does. I've seen dynos on every major intake on a RSX Type-S and the AEM V2 gave it the most HP by far. It gave it a little over 20 HP at the wheels. Before anyone starts calling BS I know this is an incredible number for an intake but sports compact car or one of those magazines did the test with like 8 or 9 different brands and that's what they got. So I'd say an AEM V2 is probably the best investment you can make for your RSX.

Shinnypoo
10-22-2003, 03:44 PM
which magazine? and which month? im gonna go buy it haha

94tegRS
10-22-2003, 07:13 PM
I remember seeing that article, I dont remember what mag it was but it was on the cover and its like battle of the brands or soemthing like that i think, or battle of the intakes(but brands sounds more catchy which is why thats what I think it was) I remember that the AEM CAI and the INJEN CAI were about the same too at about 18 HP, I think the injen added about 17.8 or something and the AEM gave like 18.2 or something, VERUY close but the AEM was on top.

sageprime1
10-23-2003, 01:22 PM
I remember seeing that article, I dont remember what mag it was but it was on the cover and its like battle of the brands or soemthing like that i think, or battle of the intakes(but brands sounds more catchy which is why thats what I think it was) I remember that the AEM CAI and the INJEN CAI were about the same too at about 18 HP, I think the injen added about 17.8 or something and the AEM gave like 18.2 or something, VERUY close but the AEM was on top.

I will have to concur. The AEM cold air intake did have the biggest hp gain, however, i don't believe it was that high. Overall, with the Type-S, the cold air intake will give you the greatest hp gain, but it's a bitch to install, i help out on installing one, and I will never install one again. The gain was about 11hp, but for 8-9 with a short ram, im good. The filter does make the biggest difference, the pimping just has to be as straight as possible and the dynamics of the engineering has to be just right.

BullShifter
10-23-2003, 10:37 PM
I will have to concur. The AEM cold air intake did have the biggest hp gain, however, i don't believe it was that high. Overall, with the Type-S, the cold air intake will give you the greatest hp gain, but it's a bitch to install, i help out on installing one, and I will never install one again. The gain was about 11hp, but for 8-9 with a short ram, im good. The filter does make the biggest difference, the pimping just has to be as straight as possible and the dynamics of the engineering has to be just right.
Dude, its only an intake. Its not gonna make your car fast NO MATTER which intake you buy.

94tegRS
10-23-2003, 11:58 PM
wont make your car FAST, but it will help a little bit.

sageprime1
10-24-2003, 07:29 PM
Dude, its only an intake. Its not gonna make your car fast NO MATTER which intake you buy.

What are you talking about. Aftermarket intakes are good for allowing more air into your system in contrast to stock, that will increase hp even if it's as little as 2hp and 1lb of torque. With a better flowing system by upgrading your headers and exhaust, your aftermarket intake will give you more cause your letting more in and releasing some backpressure.

BullShifter
10-25-2003, 01:05 AM
No shit, but its still not gonna make your car fast like many people seem to think.

94tegRS
10-25-2003, 02:19 AM
my friend has a 95 RS sedan, I have a 94 LS sedan, his has 70k, mine has 98k, he has a cone filter on stock plumbing that used to go to black box, I got INJEN SRI and at the axle back, 2.5" to a flowmaster. so neither car is really modded, and basically all I have is a axle back over the other car and it didnt even make up for the added weight of AC/ABS/CC I also got 17's vs his 15's though so...

but seems like axle bakc would put you in the wrong direction though, wouldnt it, seeing as you got a certain exhaust velocity going through the stock 1.5" piping and then all the sudden it can slow down in the large piping like a few feet form the tip, and the exhaust wouldnt leave as fast would it?

aznxthuggie
10-26-2003, 04:33 PM
at AEM's website, they have dynos of each type of intake, just find the best one, and buy that one.. also you should email them and ask them about the TEMP under the hood before/after the intake was installed.. i know that the majority of sport headers increase the tempurature under the hood

Add your comment to this topic!