Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

engine problems

goofball_tech
07-18-2003, 09:20 AM
i have a 91 mighty max, my check engine light came on about three weeks ago and and my truck started to run badly, it's almost like the truck doesn't reconize that i am giving it the gas until it is full throttle. the problem comes and goes whenever it feels like it and the check engine light comes on and goes off with bumps in the road. I have changed all plugs, wires, cap, rotor, O2 sensor. i am all out of ideas, any have any input......... anything would help..........confused:

P.S. no one in my area has a check engine code readr for my year truck it's not an OBD II and you need a special one in order to view the code. Thanx.............:

g54b turb0
10-05-2003, 06:40 PM
CHECK THE FUEL SYS. LINES ,T.B.,FILTERS :2cents:

gaberz
10-28-2003, 09:55 PM
It sounds to me two things:
1) "Check engine" Light on-off: switch behind odometer frame (on my '88) was defective. I got one in a Junk Yard- These cars were discontinue a long time ago -
2)Loosing Power: The carburator, I had a similar problem 2 yrs ago, I just ordered a carburator repair kit and refurbished it....Running like a "beauty" - One thing I have to say, I have not had never ever a problem with this car - Even I tease my family that my car has very seldom be in the mechanic...their new ones (other mfr's), do not leave the dealer service dpt.

88ram50
11-16-2003, 12:22 AM
Try the throttle position sensor.

DragonRacinImports
12-06-2003, 04:32 AM
It could also be a rotation sensor going out, or your ignition module.

intensentn
01-08-2004, 01:37 PM
I have a 1992 dodge d50 which is the same as the mighty max. mine is the 2.4 l4 5 speed. I had the same problem as you did. I went to a salvage yard, bought a computer for it and all the problems went away. $50.00 in the salvage yard, $350.00 rebuilt! Good luck

blizzard_of_oz420
11-02-2004, 04:34 AM
sometimes its the littlest things such as pulleys or even bad gas..remember that

Delta Dart
11-03-2004, 12:25 PM
P.S. no one in my area has a check engine code readr for my year truck it's not an OBD II and you need a special one in order to view the code. Thanx.............:[/QUOTE]

A code reader is not required to retrieve trouble codes from a 91. All you need is an analog voltmeter.

You will also need a manual to guide you in code retrieval, interpretation and troubleshooting. Component circuitry needs to be checked before replacing a part and in the case of the TPS you will need to know how to properly adjust after installation.

Add your comment to this topic!