Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Whats so bad abouyt LS/Vtec?

RedRacer
07-15-2003, 02:36 PM
I've heard that the LS /Vtec swap isnt very reliable...whats so unreliable about it?....never heard exactly WHAT was so bad about it...soo...why is it un reliable?

91civicDXdude
07-15-2003, 02:45 PM
part of it is that the block wasnt designed for high revs. there would be nothing wrong with it at all if you didnt take it past the stock rev limit.

I personally think LS/VTEC is jsut the poor man's excuse for not affording a B18C. the LS block has *LESS* torque than a B18C, so that throws the "ls is the torquiest b18" arguement right out the window.

whtteg
07-15-2003, 05:03 PM
The ls block has less torque than the gsr because if the compression ratio, the ls block would have alot more torque than the gsr if the compression ratio was increased, it also only has 1lbft less than a gsr. And also the ls reaches it's peak torque sooner than the gsr and also holds it for longer, bigger displacement is the reason ppl go with the LS/VTEC. I personaly think it would be better to just bore and sleeve a gsr block then you would still have a good r/s ratio. Also the B18B1 block can handle 8k rpm with a vtec oil pump and girdle. But the gsr block also has oil squirters which helps cool the pistons and keep the wrist pins oiled.

Spankyy
07-15-2003, 10:55 PM
so you think is an good idea to do ls/vtec? Iam planing to get an type-r head for the LS bottom. Thanks

p.s. If anyone is selling one please let me know!

alex

whtteg
07-15-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Spankyy
so you think is an good idea to do ls/vtec? Iam planing to get an type-r head for the LS bottom. Thanks

p.s. If anyone is selling one please let me know!

alex

Do you already have the ls block?

Spankyy
07-15-2003, 11:11 PM
Yep, I have an 94 ls.

B16EJ1
07-15-2003, 11:15 PM
All you have to do is machine the VTEC oil squirters into the B18B1 block and you have a reliable engine. Seeing as you are basically rebuilding the whole engine, I don't know why most LS/VTEC builders don't do this. High revs here you come.

Add your comment to this topic!