2007 Impala SS Electrical Problems

breakfastman55
09-13-2015, 04:36 PM
I have a 2007 Impala SS with about 117,000 miles. I purchased it new and am the only owner.

I have been having what seem to be electrical problems. Here are the "symptoms":

- For the last couple years or so, some mornings when I start up the car, the instrument panel would say that is it recalibrating. In the space where the compass is shows its reading, the letters "CAL" are displayed. Eventually, it reads "calibration complete", and the compass works normally until this happens again. So I assume that it is the compass that is calibrating.

- For the last couple months now, while I am driving, the power to the dash occasionally goes out, and then comes back a second or two later. What goes off are the sound system, the interior ventilation fan, some of the dash display, and the cruise control is disengages (if it was on). The CD player seems to remember its place on the disc when the power comes back, but the display still says "scanning disc" for a few seconds. Sometimes the "CAL" indication is back on. The engine does not seem to cut off, nor do the headlights. These brief outages do not seem to be occurring when I drive over a bump.

- Even more recently now, the cruise control will not stay engaged for more than a few seconds, even when I am not having the above described brief power outages. Also, when the car has been parked and locked for some period of time, the remote often will not unlock the car or the trunk. In such instances, I have to unlock the door manually with the key. Then, the first one or two times I turn the key in the ignition, nothing happens. But it always eventually starts, and then everything functions normally (except the cruise control). When I leave the car at my destination, the remote locks the car normally.

- I just recently replaced the battery. Also I checked the battery connections, and they are not loose. I have not checked any other connections or fuses though.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Blue Bowtie
09-14-2015, 07:10 AM
I would investigate the ignition switch (not the lock cylinder or PassLock ring) for marginal contact, poor connections, damaged wire harness or a damaged plug/connector.

GMCustomerService
09-17-2015, 02:22 PM
I have a 2007 Impala SS with about 117,000 miles. I purchased it new and am the only owner.

I have been having what seem to be electrical problems. Here are the "symptoms":

- For the last couple years or so, some mornings when I start up the car, the instrument panel would say that is it recalibrating. In the space where the compass is shows its reading, the letters "CAL" are displayed. Eventually, it reads "calibration complete", and the compass works normally until this happens again. So I assume that it is the compass that is calibrating.

- For the last couple months now, while I am driving, the power to the dash occasionally goes out, and then comes back a second or two later. What goes off are the sound system, the interior ventilation fan, some of the dash display, and the cruise control is disengages (if it was on). The CD player seems to remember its place on the disc when the power comes back, but the display still says "scanning disc" for a few seconds. Sometimes the "CAL" indication is back on. The engine does not seem to cut off, nor do the headlights. These brief outages do not seem to be occurring when I drive over a bump.

- Even more recently now, the cruise control will not stay engaged for more than a few seconds, even when I am not having the above described brief power outages. Also, when the car has been parked and locked for some period of time, the remote often will not unlock the car or the trunk. In such instances, I have to unlock the door manually with the key. Then, the first one or two times I turn the key in the ignition, nothing happens. But it always eventually starts, and then everything functions normally (except the cruise control). When I leave the car at my destination, the remote locks the car normally.

- I just recently replaced the battery. Also I checked the battery connections, and they are not loose. I have not checked any other connections or fuses though.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums breakfastman55,

We apologize that youíve been experiencing several different concerns with your Impala, and certainly donít want your vehicle to remain in this condition. We apologize for any inconveniences you have experienced, and would like to help in the best way possible. Please send us a private message including your VIN, preferred dealership and contact information.

Have a wonderful day,

Helen
GM Customer Care

j cAT
09-20-2015, 02:43 PM

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

looks like a few problems here compass re-cal
remote not working
then the more important BCM failure. that is my guess the BCM is failing .. these are now GM CHINA made and many have had impala bcm failures... many fail by not shutting down the electrical's and then dead battery..

2007 not a good year with GM vehicles ..

Add your comment to this topic!