Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Program Keyless remote for Sunfire

bgrams01
06-24-2003, 09:40 PM
Would anyone know the steps to program the Keyless remote for a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire.
Is this something a dealer has to do ...? Thanks in advance. :sunglasse

SuPeRcAr_MaN
06-24-2003, 10:42 PM
There are 2 sections for keyless remote questions... And there is a Pontiac forum with a Sunfire section...

Shortbus
06-25-2003, 11:50 AM
Moving this over to pontiac.

You will have to take this one to the dealer so they can use their
scan tool.

Here is the procedure anyway.

Important
Up to four transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle. The order in which the transmitters are programmed is important. The first transmitter programmed will be transmitter #1, and the second transmitter programmed will be transmitter #2. The number on the transmitters are for reference only: #2 can be programmed as #1 or vice versa. Additional unnumbered transmitters are also available. Use care to program the transmitters correctly.

Install a scan tool.
Turn ON the ignition , with the engine OFF.
In order to add or replace a transmitter, use the scan tool Body Control Module Special Functions: Add/Replace Key FOB in order to place the body control module into program mode. In order to program all of the transmitters, use the scan tool Body Control Module Special Functions: Clear Memory & Program All FOBs in order to place the body control module into program mode.
The BCM will confirm entry into the program mode by performing the following actions:
Locking the doors.
Unlocking the doors.
Cycling the rear compartment lid release.
Sounding the horn. The above conditions should occur within 2 seconds.

Important
The scan tool must stay connected until all of the transmitters are programmed.

Press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK buttons simultaneously on one transmitter for approximately 12 seconds. The BCM will confirm the programming of that transmitter by performing the following actions:
Locking the doors.
Unlocking the doors.
Cycling the rear compartment lid release.
Sounding the horn.
If you are programming all of the transmitters, repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters. If you would like to add another transmitter, return to step 3.
Remove the scan tool.
Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DaGr8Tim
07-11-2003, 11:51 AM
I found this out from my local pontiac dealership. I found acouple extra remotes at a yard sale. I took one in to the dealership and they ran the numbers on the back.

From there it would have cost me $35 per remote to program a remote to my wife's car. Currently I have 3 workin remotes for the car.

I still have one extra. Their like $300 if you have to order them from GM.

Add your comment to this topic!