Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

flashing check engine light

96z28SS
06-16-2003, 02:27 PM
The aspire has 55000 miles on it. THe check engine light has started to flash and will ocassionally stay lit up. The book say the check engine light will light up when there is a problem and will flash after the problem is gone. Any one have a clue as to what this could be? Also does any one know if the light would come on if one of the cylinders was not firing? I recently found one of the spark plugs may be damaged.

pod
06-25-2003, 06:50 PM
sence the aspire is an import and hard to work on id suggest a dionostic at a shop although it might be a bad plug or wire so id check those first also does it sound any like a metro (even though they sound kinda like metros)if so you got a bad cyl and should take it in. check your oil if it smells like gas you blew a cyl or a cyl seal although they usually wont run if thats the case also check your O2 sensor report back more details like sounds, performance loses or vairous other problems youve had

96z28SS
06-26-2003, 01:30 PM
well this problem seems to be fixed, I later rechecked the spark plugs this time to notice that the metal cap on the spark plug had become unscrewed and was stuck in the spark plug wire. This seems to be what caused the problem with the engine light. When I took the spark plug out again the thing was fried! The ceramic in the plug looked burnt and swelled up around the node so there was no gap at all and the metal on the plug looked like it sat in a campfire for a while. I replaced the plugs with split fires(mostly to be funny rather than performance) and it seems to be running fine now. I disconnected the battery to clear the error and it has been running fine since.

Thanks for the help.

Add your comment to this topic!