Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

+ - Buttons below cruise control on steering wheel.

SierraK1500
10-14-2013, 12:18 PM
I own a 2012 Impala.

Below the Cruise control cluster on the Steering wheel is 2 large buttons marked + and -. Neither of these work. Are these part of the cruise control?

Someone told me they are for the radio but not the case. These are finger controls I believe for the cruise control. How can I get these to function?

John
:banghead:

Tech II
10-15-2013, 05:06 PM
Under 36K miles? Then it should be covered by warranty....

Do you even know how to use the cruise control?

If you did, you would know that the - is the set button, and the + is the resume button.....

FISH96
10-15-2013, 08:21 PM
If this automobile is equipped with a 6 speed transmission they are down and up ship paddles. I think the OP is confused by your description of the location you are referencing. You may want to brush up on the owners manual for the use of these 'buttons.'

SierraK1500
10-15-2013, 11:26 PM
Under 36K miles? Then it should be covered by warranty....

Do you even know how to use the cruise control?

If you did, you would know that the - is the set button, and the + is the resume button.....

You made it sound like I am stupid.
The paddles below the cruise control are for the Transmission. The owner's manual is not clear in the description of the controls.
I took my car back to my dealer and they informed me of the 6 step low gear function of the transmission for towing and snow driving.

And yes I am not that stupid to know about the function of the Cruise control. I was not sure of the paddles below it. It was one of the first things I used driving it home from the dealer.

Please I come here for help and advice not to be played for a moron. Thanks anyway TechII for your expert advice. :sarcasmsign:

Tech II
10-16-2013, 09:34 AM
I will take the heat on this one......

Since I worked on Pontiacs, I was not familiar with those buttons on the Impala.....I thought you were describing the set/resume buttons on the cruise system....so my apology....

After reading Fish's post , I checked into the system you have.....

This system in not like the Tap-Shift system of Pontiacs, which I worked on, where you can control the performance of the shifting of the vehicle, like a manual transmission....

The system in the Impala is, as the manual states:

ERS mode allows you to
choose the top-gear limit of the
transmission, which can help
control the vehicle's speed while
driving downhill or towing a trailer.

Once again, I'm sorry for my confusion.....

Add your comment to this topic!