Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

soft warning check engine light

hoppedup
09-03-2013, 04:59 PM
my check engine light comes on some in 5 mins and sometime days before coming on. if u deep in the throttle it dont come on as much. but if u drive 50-55 it can come on as soon as 5 mins. if u turn off the motor and start again the light will go off. i dont see any issues in response gas mileage.
that would make me think of a cold air intake sensor
im thinking throttle positioner.. could it been anything else.
it starts fine and runs fine no rough idling

goiserclause
09-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Need vehicle info. Year? Engine? But gonna need to get a scan tool on it otherwise just shot in the dark.

Tech II
09-04-2013, 08:48 AM
If the light comes on, get the code read....

hoppedup
09-04-2013, 01:41 PM
its a 94 cavalier ,2.2.. the key code i got was a 22.
3, blinks.. 2 more,, then last 3 blinks
the autozone told me it was a throttle positioner.
my mechanic told me that they have a fine wire and over time the wires will break or get a dead spot in it.. then it will send this soft code
ive never replaced it and the car has 220,000.
it cost $75 to put it on a handheld computer, and the part is $33.
im on a fixxed income and really dont have the $75 but i can get the part and get it on myself.. when i took the old 1 off it was sticking so i soaked it in some WD-40 and got it free thinking it may help
if u run 70-80 it dont send the code but at 50-60 it will but not all the time
sometimes it will in 5 mins. and other times it days to send 1
i bought a cheap tester and blinked and the code key said the same
3 blinks,2 blinks,3 blinks. and what i get out of it . it could be the clean air sensor, or the throttle positioner.
but if u turn the key to off and restart the light goes away.. and starts very easy

Tech II
09-04-2013, 08:45 PM
first off, it should blink once, twice, pause, one, twice, pause, once, twice(flash "12" 3X's)....

Then, it will flash the first code 3X's, if there is another code, it will flash it 3X's, if there are no more codes, it will flash "12" again, signifying the end of the codes.....

Code 22 is TPS...it should blink twice, twice, pause, twice, twice, pause, twice, twice.....

Code 23 is IAT...it should blink twice, thrice, pause, twice, thrice, pause, twice, thrice....

It might not be the sensor,,,,could be an intermittent wiring problem.....either the contacts in the harness may be a little loose, or you could have broken wire(s) inside the insulation going into the harness connector....

goiserclause
09-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Call some shops to see if they will scan it for free. Autozone and other parts stores will, not sure if you have one nearby. Try gently wiggling the wiring harnesses and wiring to see if that sets off the CEL.

hoppedup
09-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Call some shops to see if they will scan it for free. Autozone and other parts stores will, not sure if you have one nearby. Try gently wiggling the wiring harnesses and wiring to see if that sets off the CEL.

autozone will read them for free.. but not my older car. they dont have the end. to adapt. from '98 and down. i think he told me. so say,,me.. ,
and they got rid of the old 1 when they went newer.. so say,,me,,..
well,,what started it all was when i got the shop to put me a module,and crank sensor .. and burnt starter and starter wires [harness]
by using a jump starter.
he's the 1 thats going to charge me the $75 to hook it up [codes]
every wheres else its $85-$100 to read the codes
im using a all metal code key that i got from autozone,to run a internal diagnostic where it flashes the "check engine light" then call autozone with the code and let them to look it up.

i did move the throttle positioner wires and the fresh air ,unclipped, cleaned, reinstalled

hoppedup
09-05-2013, 03:04 PM
first off, it should blink once, twice, pause, one, twice, pause, once, twice(flash "12" 3X's)....

Then, it will flash the first code 3X's, if there is another code, it will flash it 3X's, if there are no more codes, it will flash "12" again, signifying the end of the codes.....

Code 22 is TPS...it should blink twice, twice, pause, twice, twice, pause, twice, twice.....

Code 23 is IAT...it should blink twice, thrice, pause, twice, thrice, pause, twice, thrice....

It might not be the sensor,,,,could be an intermittent wiring problem.....either the contacts in the harness may be a little loose, or you could have broken wire(s) inside the insulation going into the harness connector....

thats what im getting 2-3-2. repeat 2-3-2 repeat 2-3-2.
but i need to retest. since it has a 2nd hand computer put in it .maybe running old codes. i will pull the hot wire for 5 mins and let it reset.
can i VU [rx] at the throttle positioner, and check the rest of the wires [harness] ,sensors.
and how many sensors is in that loop .O2, fresh air, throttle ???
and i put a new O2 sensor on

Tech II
09-05-2013, 06:56 PM
no, it is flashing 1-2, 1-2, 1-2,, pause, 2-3, 2-3, 2-3, pause, 1-2, 1-2. 1-2, pause, 2-3, 2-3, 2-3, etc.

As I said, 23 is the intake air temp sensor....that is either located in the air box or snorkel between the box and the throttle body.........a scan tool would read this as ambient air temp on a cold engine......when disconnected, it would read -34F.....if shorted it would read over 300F......

hoppedup
09-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Tech ll : thanks for the info, that helped a lot to know what the codes are.
for what the blinks of the check engine light is what im use to diagnostic .
Is there any sensors other then ,fresh air [IAT], throttle positioner [TPS].
and a O2 sensor.
i will retest to make sure,, i can put on the 2 new parts for what a hand handle will cost me. test to find out
but i have to get over this S1 nerve that pinched 2 wks.ago.. out of my hip and down my leg

Add your comment to this topic!