Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 2.2 ABS light on

comet240
12-10-2012, 11:50 AM
hi i cant seem to find my old post but i have the abs light on i thought it was sensors it wasnt i though air and it wasnt i bled them etc

car is now at the garage for 2 weeks and all mechanic says is his code reader says can not communicate with the ABS computer so is there another computer i can pull out of my 97 sunfire and give him to put in there to try it or does it go directly to the computer ??? or how does this work

as really i dont see reason u need ABS to pass certification cuz brakes work normal as they arent going to put ABS on older vehicles so there no point i should have put black tape over the abs and brake light ugh

and does anyone know the wires to check if there is a break?

maxwedge
12-10-2012, 06:47 PM
In NYS the abs lite does not fail inspection. If the ABS control unit is bad there is no comm, if it is disconnected or fuses blown, missing, there is no comm.

comet240
12-10-2012, 07:03 PM
ah i in ontario canada and he wont cert car ugh

where is the abs control computer located? and fuses and relays fine as i had checked them all before sending it in

what does it look like

maxwedge
12-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Either under the l/s of the dash or under the abs unit near the master cylinder under the hood.

comet240
12-11-2012, 10:38 AM
ok and i have a spare 98 sunfire do they all use the same abs computer?

comet240
12-11-2012, 11:19 AM
i gave the garage the abs controller i dunno if the 97 cav has ETS or not but the sunfire does and i noticed online there are 2 different modules but still the same

is it going to matter? i just need the light off for abs

as garage says if it came with the car it has to be working to certify so light has to be out

frig i wish it had light bulbs in there not a soldered on crap or i taken it out stupid

if u cant drive with abs on then you shouldnt be driving period cuz you have no idea how to brake

Add your comment to this topic!