Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

finding TDC

dagan06
06-19-2012, 12:04 AM
Does anyone have any tips on finding TDC on my 2003?

phillipshaw
06-19-2012, 01:42 AM
Same question with him!. Hope someone could help us here.

Tech II
06-19-2012, 07:08 AM
OK, this is the 2.2 Ecotec engine....timing is not adjustable......so my question is why do you want to find TDC?

Have you pulled the front engine cover, and have replaced some of the components(timing chain, tensioner, etc.) and are trying to time the engine? If you are, get a manual because it is a little involved and you only have one shot at setting it.....

What kind of problems or symptoms do you have?

dagan06
06-19-2012, 07:28 AM
I have to change the timing chain, gears, ect. I have a manual but it is very vague about finding TDC.

Tech II
06-19-2012, 08:30 PM
Ok, I looked at the other posts, and see this is the engine with the ticking sound from the timing cover area......should have just continued with the same post.....

The ecotec engine replaced the quad 4.......I liked timing the quad 4 engine better, because you can recheck the timing after two manual cranks of the engine.....pins line up in the cams and you have the timing mark for the crank sprocket....

Ecotec is not like that......there are three marks(different colors) on that chain that correspond to marks on the two cams and the sprocket....if you rotate the engine twice, those 3 marks do not line up again to recheck your work....so you only have on shot at this........

Been awhile since I timed one.....is this a GM manual or a generic one? If I remember right, the two marks that are the same color, go on the cams and the different colored mark goes on the crank....should be a mark on the crank sprocket and on the block(around 5 or 6 o'clock).....start the chain with the mark on the crank and work your way back around with the chain counter clockwise, aligning the other two marks on the chain with the marks on the top of each cam.....if the alignment marks on the cams are on the bottom, then the engine is 180 out of timing.....that's why BEFORE I take the chain off, I have already manually rotated the engine approximately in the timed position.....

Like I said in the other post, there was a new kit for this.....2 cam sprockets, crank sprocket, chain, tensioner, and a new oil nozzle with a larger opening.....makes sure the tensioner is retracted correctly, and that you use the proper procedure to expand it....

danielsatur
06-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Use a heavy duty paper wad on cylinder 1, and turn her over until she pop's.

Add your comment to this topic!