Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1998 ets off problem

drejatessman
03-23-2012, 10:41 PM
I just bought a 1998 cavalier today. I test drove it for 45 Min and ran great. So we bought it
And brought it home. Later tonight I was driving it and the check engine light came on and the ets off light came on. All if a sudden it started shifting hard in 1st and 2nd gear. I hot to where I was going shut off the car, then when I left the ets light was off and it shifted fine. Ttthen while driving the ets light came game on again and it started shifting hard again. It was raining out, I am not sure if that makes a difference. Is this something I shld be really worried about or is it an easy fix? What do u all think? Thanks for reading this!

gmtech1
03-23-2012, 11:29 PM
You'll need to have the codes scanned. The ETS light probably came on because of another problem. Most parts stores will check codes for free. Post back what code(s) you have.

Tech II
03-24-2012, 08:36 AM
Gmtech1 has you covered on this one....won't know what kind of fix this is until the code(s) are read.....

This is a good lesson to anyone buying a used vehicle....always have it checked out by an independent garage, before buying.....sometimes the CE light is not on when you test drive it....but in some cases, when scanned you will find out how many times a code has happened and the mileage at which it happened(unless of course the seller cleared them).....

In some cases, the code will not happen, until it triggers on two consecutive drive cycles.....

Was this a dealer or private party? Different states have different laws....in some, you have so many business days to return a vehicle with a problem....

Add your comment to this topic!