Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

05 Chev Equinox problems starting at times

krayzielady
07-13-2011, 04:20 PM
I have an 05 Chevrolet Equinox that I purchased new. It now has 167,xxx miles on it. I recently started having issues with it starting. Seems to happen when I drive longer distances and shut the car off. When I get back in the car, and turn the key on, it doesn't start :banghead:. All the lights on the instrument panel will flash on and off. If I hold the key on long enough, it will usually start. Sometimes it will not start, but if I have someone tap the starter with a hammer, it will start right up. A couple of times when this has happened, the T/C (traction control) light will come on. When this happens, and I do get it started, the car won't go at all. I shut it off, and once started again, it will be fine, but the engine light will stay on for a couple of days. Any idea if I need to replace the starter, or if this could be another issue? Thanks.

danielsatur
07-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Whats starting?
Is the starter working and the engine will not run!

krayzielady
07-13-2011, 04:28 PM
When I hold the key on long enough (sometimes 15 seconds, sometimes 2 minutes) the car will start.

danielsatur
07-13-2011, 04:37 PM
How old is the battery?
Can you turn your lights on and honk the horn?

1) Check for lose or corroded battery cables.
2) Have both the battery + alternator load tested @ your local Auto parts store.

If your battery is over 4-years old,just relace it.

krayzielady
07-13-2011, 04:43 PM
That's already been done. Battery and alt is okay. When it starts, it starts just fine. But sometimes, all we have to do is tap the starter with a hammer, and it will start right up. Does this tell me something is loose, or will I need to replace the starter?

danielsatur
07-13-2011, 04:50 PM
It sounds like a bad starting solenoide on the starter.

GMCustomerService
07-14-2011, 11:53 AM
I would also recommend taking a look at the starter. If this does not seem to resolve your concern, I would recommend contacting your local dealership for more information. Please feel free to keep me posted on the thread or via private message. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

Add your comment to this topic!