Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Diagnosing A/C leak in 98 Cavalier

patrick_t_nc
06-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Hi everyone! It's nice being here and big "Thanks!" To any advice. I have really good common sense and I do know that a/c problems are best left to pro's. The problem is I am disabled and I have MS. The hot summer makes me sick and I cannot afford a mechanic so I need to try this myself. The good news is the a/c DOES work and blow cold. The bad news is it leaks out in about 3 days. Is there 1 particular place I should look for leaks? Are there rebuild kits to replace vulnerable gaskets or seals? I assume I am going to have to rent a high powered black light and use dye in the system.

Thanks for any good direction anyone can get me going in. The unit really doesn't look bad. I'm just curious how many place's it can leak the coolent gas from
-Patrick

MikeS144
06-20-2011, 08:13 AM
If it's leaking out that fast you should be able to see oil where it is leaking. Check everywhere there is a fitting in the system, especially the backside of the compressor.

MikeS144
06-20-2011, 08:21 AM
...and another thing. If you don't see any oil you may need to do a bubble test. Mix up a bubble solution in a spray bottle and spray down all the connections and look for bubbles to form. Of course to do this you will have to put some freon in.

danielsatur
06-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Check Amazon.com for a 134A leak detector for $11 plus shipping, also
Big Lots has 134a for $8 a can.

Check both the low/high pressure side schrader valves.

Add your comment to this topic!