Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

100 Octane gas?

1994cavalier
05-28-2011, 11:25 PM
I have a 94 cavalier 2.2 L and i was wondering if you guys think 100 octane would be ok to use in my car.

possible benefits may be increased fuel mileage, cleaner emissions and better Throttle body response

what do you guys think? and safe to use??

j cAT
05-29-2011, 08:23 AM
I have a 94 cavalier 2.2 L and i was wondering if you guys think 100 octane would be ok to use in my car.

possible benefits may be increased fuel mileage, cleaner emissions and better Throttle body response

since your vehicle was designed to operate on 87 octane the use of any octane above 89 would be a waste...

100 octane could cause engine damage since this engine is not calibrated for this fuel..

if you have this fuel and need to use it up mix some in with the 87 octane..

MagicRat
05-29-2011, 09:22 AM
Don't use 100 octane. It's probably aviation fuel intended for airplanes and probably has tetra-ethyl lead in it. If you use enough of it your catalytic converter will become coated in lead internally, rendering it ineffective. This means you will have to get a new one installed so you can pass the next emissions test.

J-Ri
05-29-2011, 04:17 PM
In addition to these good reasons not to use it, burning higher octane gas can actually lead to pre-ignition (knocking/pinging). It burns slower which is why it's needed in high compression, boosted engines, or in applications where the timing is advanced more that "standard" engines.

If you use higher octane than what the engine needs, this slower burning means it's not all burnt, and that will lead to carbon deposits in the engine. Over time they will build up to the point where they create a big enough hot spot, and will eventually ignite the fuel/air mixture before the spark occurs.

j cAT
05-30-2011, 08:00 AM

as mentioned by the other members if this is aviation gasoline it would be blue in color and have 2 grams of lead per gallon...with cat converters this would mess up the emissions ...even in small amounts..

called LL100...........

1994cavalier
05-30-2011, 10:33 AM
Hey thanks for your guys' input! will def not put that stuff in my car

Add your comment to this topic!