Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

02 cavalier will not start, passlock problem (disable?)

dblommel
05-12-2011, 07:42 PM
We are 99% sure the car will not start due the anti theft system. We replaced the PCM and then tried the 30 min on/off thing and it will not work. I really just want to disable the anti theft system. I have read several times that it is as easy as cutting a yellow wire under the column. My question is this "Is this true?" if not is there a way to disable it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Dave

brcidd
05-12-2011, 08:54 PM
What was the reason to replace PCM? Because of security light? or other?

dblommel
05-12-2011, 09:14 PM
What was the reason to replace PCM? Because of security light? or other?

We replace it because there was a the word "ERROR" in the odometer field. With the
new/used PCM that has gone away. Also we could not hear the fuel pump kick in, now we do.

Thanks for the reply,
Dave

brcidd
05-12-2011, 09:38 PM
So did you find someone with a Tech II scan tool to reprogram everthing? see description below...

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE PROGRAMMING
WARNING: If Powertrain Control Module (PCM) was replaced, EEPROM in PCM
must be programmed. If EEPROM is not programmed, a Diagnostic
Trouble Code (DTC) will be set in PCM, or PCM may be damaged.
PCM can only be programmed using pass-through programming method. Pass-through programming method requires use of a scan tool in series with Techline(R) terminal and Data Link Connector (DLC). Perform EEPROM programming using Techline(R) equipment manufacturer's instructions
and latest software applicable for vehicle model. Once EEPROM is reprogrammed, Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor variation learn procedure must be performed using proper procedure. See COMPUTER RELEARN PROCEDURES article in GENERAL INFORMATION. For 2002, seeCOMPUTER RELEARN PROCEDURES article in GENERAL INFORMATION. Program vehicle theft deterrent system. See PASSLOCK(tm)

LEARN PROCEDURE .PASSLOCK(TM) LEARN PROCEDURE
NOTE: Passlock(tm) system may be referred to as Vehicle Theft Deterrent
(VTD) system. NOTE: Password must be learned when Passlock(tm) sensor, Body Control Module (BCM) or Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is replaced. BCM must be programmed with proper Regular Production Option (RPO)
configurations before preforming relearn procedures. See BODY
CONTROL MODULE PROGRAMMING/REGULAR PRODUCTION OPTION
CONFIGURATION .
NOTE: If Body Control Module (BCM) is replaced with a GM Service Parts
Operations (SPO) replacement part, BCM will learn Passlock(tm) sensor
data code immediately. Powertrain Control Module (PCM) however,
must learn new fuel continue password when BCM is replaced.
NOTE: If PCM is replaced with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO)
replacement part (after programming), PCM will learn incoming fuel
continue password immediately upon receipt of a password message.
If PCM password needs to be changed, learn procedure will need to be
performed.

10-Minute Learn Procedure
NOTE: Techline(R) terminal with current Service Programming System (SPS)
software is required to perform this procedure. Connect scan tool with Techline(R) terminal to Data link Connector (DLC). DLC is located on
lower left side of instrument panel, near steering column. Using scan tool, select REQUEST INFORMATION under SERVICE PROGRAMMING. Disconnect scan tool from DLC.
On Techline(R) terminal, select THEFT MODULE RE-LEARN under SERVICE
PROGRAMMING. Disconnect scan tool from Techline(R) terminal. Connect scan tool to DLC. Turn ignition switch to RUN position. Select VTD system RE-LEARN under SERVICE
PROGRAMMING.
Attempt to start vehicle. Vehicle will not start. Monitor THEFT SYSTEM indicator in instrument cluster. After 10 minutes, THEFT SYSTEM indicator will turn off. Vehicle is now ready to relearn Passlock(tm) sensor data code or password when ignition switch is cycled again from OFF to START position.
CAUTION: You must turn ignition switch to OFF position before attempting
to start vehicle. Turn ignition switch to OFF position and wait 5 seconds. Start vehicle. Vehicle has now learned password. Using scan tool, clear any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC). History DTCs will selfclear after 100 ignition switch cycles.
30-Minute Learn Procedure Turn ignition switch to RUN position. Attempt to start vehicle. Vehicle will not start. Monitor THEFT SYSTEM indicator in instrument cluster. After 10 minutes, THEFT SYSTEM indicator will turn off. Turn ignition switch to OFF position and wait 5 seconds.
Repeat step 1 2 more times for a total of 3 cycles within 30 minutes. Vehicle is now ready to relearn Passlock(tm) sensor data code or password when ignition switch is cycled again from OFF to START position.
CAUTION: You must turn ignition switch to OFF position before attempting
to start vehicle. Turn ignition switch to OFF position. Start vehicle. Vehicle has now learned Passlock(tm) sensor data code and/or password. Using scan tool, clear any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC). History DTCs will self-clear after 100 ignition switch cycles

Jmrec100
05-22-2011, 12:18 AM
Are you sure that the new PCM matches your car? What I mean is even the transmission and vehicle ID. . I went thru that problem. I had a used PCM and there were no errors. Problem was that is was programmed for a manual and not an automatic. Bought a new one ( Autozone)with all info such as VIN, Trans, etc. The company programmed it specifically to my car and problem gone. PCM's are really a pain. The learning process was easy and not a problem when PCM matches the vehicle.
A friend replaced his dash on his Chevy , I think Lumina,. It went thru the not starting etc. Put the old dash back in and it started. But he still had whatever the same problem was for replacing the dash.

Add your comment to this topic!