Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'96 Z24 2.4 Is Eating Gas

oneroundko
04-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Seems my 2.4L is only getting about 18 MPG and I can't figure why. I changed the fuel filter, change oil regularly, also have newer plugs. Any suggestions?

This thread gives me some ideas:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1050322

What are these engines supposed to be doing MPG? My dad's Taurus 3.0 V6 does better than my Cav and it's a real bummer. I don't have a led foot either, although most of my driving is primarly in the (stop and go) city.

OdinStrife
06-05-2011, 05:09 AM
good tires, good alignment, proper tire pressure, regular oil/spark plug changes as well as other things will help, look at your manual there is generally a place that says what all should be changed at so many miles.

mnKISSgirl
08-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Check your fuel pressure regulator. I just had mine replaced ('98 2.2) because when I'd back out of my parking space in the morning it acted as though the idle was really high while releasing the clutch and applying the gas, but then it would be fine. Turns out it's because it would be flooded from the regulator leaking gas all night, explaining why my car acted like a bat out of hell when first getting going...anyways... The mechanic said when he took the fuel regulator out it was pissing gas all over, and I should definitely have better gas mileage now...and I do. Good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!