Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 SL1 manual transmission shifting problem after braking

Bob Morris
03-29-2011, 09:24 PM
Sons saturn will not go into gear after a hard braking action. The shifter will move, the car just acts like it is in nuetral, engine revs with gas, no movement in any gear or reverse. After waiting for a few minutes he can put it in gear and go as if nothing happened. I have checked the fluid, its nice pink and clear and full. He says it has happened 3 times in the past week, has driven it for over a year with no major problems. He is 17, but seems decent with a manual.

I have tried to replicate but can not the car drive good, no shifting problems on normal driving and no check engine lights

IF anyone can lend advise I would greatly appreciate it.

tks bob

yaz4real
03-29-2011, 09:50 PM
How many miles on the car?

Linkage or clutch issue comes to mind first.

Bob Morris
03-29-2011, 10:00 PM
How many miles on the car?

Linkage or clutch issue comes to mind first.

Car has little of over 90000 on it,

what is throwing me is how well it drives normally, and
why it goes to normal after 3 or 4 minutes. really thoght
I would be finding low or no fluid when I checked. It looked
as if it was changed yesterday...

yaz4real
03-29-2011, 10:17 PM
Seems odd but can only think of the clutch reaching its life and slipping while hot including the possibility of oil/etc.. in the flywheel/clutch housing assisting with the slipping. When allowed to cool down and at low speed, the clutch plate grabs sufficiently to have no driveability issue.

Bob Morris
03-29-2011, 10:39 PM
Seems odd but can only think of the clutch reaching its life and slipping while hot including the possibility of oil/etc.. in the flywheel/clutch housing assisting with the slipping. When allowed to cool down and at low speed, the clutch plate grabs sufficiently to have no driveability issue.

When this happened today, he had driven 100 foot when someone pulled out in front of him, car had been sitting 7 hours. Has driven in the last few days 100 plus miles no issues...just happens when he slams on brakes.

Anything with engine movement a possible factor?????
have not seen anything wrong, but reading through post have seen several mentioning broken mounts, mechanic I spoke with earlier tonight
ask about engine movement, gonna raise it in AM and see what I see.

yaz4real
03-29-2011, 10:59 PM
Motor Mounts on the Saturn S Series are always an issue with vibrations and engine movement. The upper mount on the passenger side is the main mount and easy to evaluate.

The lower transmission mount under the engine on the driver side is the second.

Two "dogbone" mounts are used to prevent the engine from twisting.

Great information on websites about evaluating and replacing these mounts.

Such as:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U50UGSq_AVo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaugUfILmGE

There are videos to replace all of these mounts.

However, I am still skeptical that these mounts would cause the symptoms and circumstances you describe.

Add your comment to this topic!