Never had a problem...now it's making a weird noise :(

thndrstorm
02-25-2011, 08:38 AM
I've never had a problem with it, 135K miles and just yesterday it started making a 'new sound.' It idles perfect, in N if I race the engine, no noise. But in gear and starting at about 1800-1900 rpms and above it makes what I can only describe as 'blowing rasperries' noise. Almost like air-like sound or a fast putt-putt sound. LOL I know these aren't great descriptions! Anyway, no engine codes or anything apparently wrong but this is definitely a new noise and it sounds like it's coming from the front end, not rear of car.

I'm going to take it in and see if they can diagnose it but thought I would ask around first for ideas....I'm fearing the worst but hoping for the best!

Thx

amigo-2k
02-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Check the heat shields on your exhaust. Many of them are held on by clamps or spot welds and over time they can break and then make buzzing sounds at different RPMs.

thndrstorm
02-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Thanks! Had it in today and it was a heavily corroded part of the exhaust...a 'j pipe' piece after the catalytic converter. Anyways, they replaced it. I'm not gonna complain about the $150 as I was fearing much worse. I'm going home to check out the repair manual. Not sure if there will be anything there on it but I'd like to learn a little more if I could!

Add your comment to this topic!