Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

2010 - 2011 Legacy 2.5 with CVT. Opinions?

Alphabravo
12-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Hi,
I was wondering anyone had any opinions about the Legacies with Constantly Variable Transmissions? They began using them in their 2010 models.

I like them in principle, but there's one thing I've noticed that I am not crazy about. It seems like it doesn't really coast. Seems like the drivetrain is always engaged, thus causing a drag.

It is very noticable a few seconds after I release the accellerator. I can actully feel the car slowing. If I put it in Neutral then it feels like it coasts normally, but I don't think I should have to do that.

I think this decreases the gas mileage. I asked the dealer about it and they said that this is done on purpose so you don't have to ride the brakes down a hill. Is this correct?

Anyone else experience this? What's your opinion, like it or not? Frankly, I's rather be able to coast.

Will it do any harm to the tranny if I always put it in neutral so I can coast?

Mookie10
03-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Hi AB,
We love our 10 Legacy w/ CVT tranny. I used to think that coasting on Nuetral would be the way to save some gas, but that's not always true. If you change the way you drive by anticipate any traffic that will cost you to do 'stop and go' driving - you will save your gas. So far, we have about 10k on it and we are avg about 29-30 for combination driving. We took a trip from Dallas to San Antonio and avg about 34-35mpg on highway driving.

Yes, it would be nice to coast once in awhile, but the tranny will engage in the lower gear first whenever you shift back to drive. I dont think it hurt the tranny, but it makes you step on the gas a bit more if you need to keep up with the speed.

In all, we really enjoy driving our car w/ CVT. Had one on the Lancer GTS as well...but Subaru is much more refine.

Hope this help you out.

Alphabravo
03-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks, Mookie10.
We like it too, especially with all the bad weather we had here in Pittsburgh. We only average 25.8 combined. I would say 50-70% highway, but we do have a lot of hills here and my wife and I have lead foots. :)

TDWPgtp
08-01-2011, 07:30 PM
i just got an '11 legacy with the 2.5 and cvt and while i do think it is annoying that it does this, i got used to it pretty quickly. if you keep your foot on the gas pedal just slightly, it wont do it. its supposedly a "hill decent" feature. ive noticed alot of newer cars that do it. im not a fan, but its not a huge deal. i do like the car, however.

Thunder240
10-15-2011, 11:19 AM
I also just bought at '11 Legacy 2.5i with CVT.

Have you all tried switching into manual mode and placing the car in 6th gear? When I do this I find the car coasts a little easier.

rodeo02
10-25-2011, 09:14 PM
I just purchased a 2012 Legacy Premium, 2.5L CVT. I'm pleasantly surprised at how awesome this CVT performs. I'm not seeing the coasting issue posted above, but I really haven't messed with the paddle shifters much.

Add your comment to this topic!