Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Olds 88 Royale LS AC pains

alwayslost
08-16-2010, 08:51 AM
Hello, any help would be wonderful! Recently purchased a 92 Olds 88 Royale LS, garage kept, with less than 20,000 miles, automatic climate control. The A/C quit working! We've had it retrofit with 134a at a certified shop, the compressor was leaking so we had that replaced (for big $$) and it still didn't work, said we needed the a/c heater programmer, so we replaced that also (with a used/guaranteed one). After installing it, we reset everything, the compressor kicked on one time, then nothing! We have checked all fuses and relays, they all show good. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions, before we drive this car over a cliff? Thanks!

Hmanor3
08-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Check the low pressure switch and the high pressure switch on the AC lines. If either of these switches are tripped the AC will not run. Unplug the connector and jump the wires in the connector to bypass. If it runs one of the switches may be bad or the pressure is out of spec.

alwayslost
08-20-2010, 08:53 AM
We jumped the switches, no reaction. The coolant level is good, done at a shop by a certified mechanic. Like I said, after we installed the a/c heater programmer the compressor kicked in as it should, them we raised the temperature and and it wouldn't kick in after that. I'm not sure if I said before, but this is the automatic system with digital readout and the outside temp flashes 2 or 3 minutes after starting the car. As of right now, we have the compressor wired to a seperate wire that loses power when the car is shut off, but runs the entire time the car is running. The temperature control works and if it gets too cold in the car we just raise the temp and turn the fan way down. Is it possible that a relay is 'going bad' as someone suggested to me? Thank you for helping me, this is making me hate this otherwise great car!

Hmanor3
08-22-2010, 12:30 AM
It is possible the relay is bad, you need to see if you can get a hold of a wiring diagram for the compressor control. The control unit on the dash sends a signal to the programmer, then the programmer sends the signal to either the relay, or to the powertrain control module.(Not sure which way on a 92) Then the PCM sends the signal (a ground) to the relay, and energizes the clutch on the compressor. From what you said it sounds like the mechanical parts are working, it seems it is in the electrical end of it.

I think the blinking indicates that there is a code set in HVAC system. A scan tool is required. That may also lead you to your compressor control problem......

alwayslost
09-10-2011, 07:56 AM
Well, as of December this was no longer an issue, since the car was totaled during a sudden ice storm.
No, however I have an entirely new issue!
Since the car had very low mileage we decided to keep the motor and transmission and put them into a 1996 Oldsmobile that had a blown motor. We were assured that it would go right in with no problems, and they were wrong! HA
As of right now, the car (motor) runs wonderfully, BUT the radiator and a/c cooling fans run the entire time the car is running, not allowing the thermostat to work properly. The relays (which are different from a 92 to a 96 check out ok. We put a new temperature sensor in, but still without positive results. The ECM/PCM out of the 1992 will not work in the 1996 model, we tried that. We are considering wiring the a/c fan into the a/c power switch, so that it will only run when the a/c is turned on, but have no idea what to do with the radiator cooling fan to allow it to work properly. Thank any and all who take the time to read this, any suggestions would be wonderful!

Tech II
09-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Wasn't the '92 an "L" motor, and the '96 a "K" motor?

By the way, on that '92 control head, you didn't need a scanner to read the code in the head.....just had to know the procedure of which buttons to press........

Cooling fan runs constantly, if the relay is bad or if there is a code set in the PCM or coolant sensor problem....

alwayslost
09-10-2011, 01:22 PM
Wasn't the '92 an "L" motor, and the '96 a "K" motor?

By the way, on that '92 control head, you didn't need a scanner to read the code in the head.....just had to know the procedure of which buttons to press........

Cooling fan runs constantly, if the relay is bad or if there is a code set in the PCM or coolant sensor problem....

I'm confused. All I've had explained to me is that the motor out of the 92 is a "type 1" and the 96 is a "type 2". I know nothing of type L or K.

The 92 was OBD1, the 96 is OBD2, but the PCM out of the 92 wouldn't hook up and allow the car to run. So, I'm not getting accurate code readings from the PCM. So, if there is a procedure of buttons to push and you can tell me how, I surely would appreciate it.
As it stands right now, I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to fix this issue, but know that I can't let our daughter drive the car this winter without the engine being able to get up to proper temperature. :uhoh:

alwayslost
09-10-2011, 04:42 PM
I just had a friend suggest that I install thermo disc switches for both radiator and cooling fans. I am looking for these items to use on the Oldsmobile. I will update as I find out more information about these, if I can find them and if they work.

Tech II
09-10-2011, 07:50 PM
The motor designation is the 8th digit of the VIN #...

Only thing I remember being type I or II, were the early ignition systems....i believe type I C3I system used one coil, with 6 terminals....type II used three, two terminal coils....

alwayslost
09-12-2011, 07:46 AM
The 92 was a type L, the 96 is a K. I don't know if that information helps, but there it is. The "Check Engine" light is on. I cannot retrieve the codes with our scanner, because the motor is from the 92, but the ECM is the 96. I tried swapping the two relays, but nothing changed. Should I get new relays and try those before I do anything else?
Thank You, Tech II for your help.

Add your comment to this topic!