Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

two problems, stereo/check engine light

DoctorCrobe
06-18-2010, 03:03 PM
ok, I have a two fold problem

first off, I bought a new sony cd player to replace the old Pioneer deck.. now sometime before that, the factory stereo I believe was stolen or some idiot cut the wires to the factory harness, and is no longer there.. If I could get my hands on another 1996 mazda protege's wiring setup from a junkyard or the like I could rewire the correct wires up to the harness.. and just by the wiring harness for after market stereo's..

but for now, what would also work is finding an actual picture or correct wire diagram.. seems like the many I have found is correct on the speaker wiring, but mismatched on the power/ground/constant wiring..

didn't really think to check all the wires when I ripped out the pioneer..

problem two, the day I ripped the stereo out of the car, I had to go to work and since then, the check engine light came on..

to no avail, I can't figure that one out... I took it to checkers and borrowed their OBD2 reader. and hooked it up to the DLC under the dash... I can't get anything to connect to the DLC. since then the check engine light has gone on and off.. and the car tends to run like crap. but still does great on the freeways and such.. doesn't die on the roads or anything...

anyone have any suggestions?

DoctorCrobe
07-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Well I figured I'd post here, I disconnected the battery last night for well over an hour.. fired my car up afterwards, and I still get the check engine light. dunno if it will connect up to a reader or not now.. might give that a shot.. if I can find the computer, I am gonna disconnect it completly, and make sure nothing is wrong with it..

thought about jumping down to the junkyard and seeing if I can find one there, bring it home and hook it up. and see if it punches the same code, but atleast maybe it will read off the obd2 port..

still if anyone has any idea's..

DoctorCrobe
07-30-2010, 12:22 AM
Hey, guess what, I found out what it was that had the check engine light on..

I have ROOM fuse that blew under the steering wheel... once I figured out most of the stereo wiring.. I thought hmm. why am I only getting power to one wire when the key is on.. and not getting power to another at all wether it's on or not?
so I looked at my fuses.. and sure enough it wasn't the radio fuse..

it was the one listed as ROOM... well, long story short, I replaced the fuse.. found out which wire was the constant on for the car stereo.. and voila. check engine light shut off.. stereo works good.. and I am happy..

Add your comment to this topic!