Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need to remove clutch on a 4g64 motor

szabo016
06-15-2010, 09:52 PM
I just had my trans rebuilt a couple a months ago and now my clutch has went out. I wanna do it myself to save the money and gain the experience. I have a 1996 eclipse gs spyder with the 2.4. Has anyone had to remove the clutch in this motor before without a lift? Is it doable? I have heard rumors that getting the trans out can be quite a pain.

Any help would be great, thanks

vanilla gorilla
06-15-2010, 10:10 PM
Doing a clutch swap on a 2.4 Spyder GS is the exact same process as doing a clutch job on a GST. The engine block is primarily the same, the transmissions are the same and the entire clutch system is the same.

Is it not hard to do, yet it can be time consuming and frustrating if you have never attempted this type of work before. I have done two clutch swaps in my Spyder GS as well as a trans and clutch swap in my GST. You do not need a lift, I have always done it in my concrete driveway. The key is getting the car high off the ground. I jack the entire car up as high as my jack will allow and support it on jackstands. I then support the tranny with a floor jack and drop it out the bottom of the car. It can all be done using handtools, the only specialty tool you will need are axle sockets (32mm or 34mm cant remember) and a torque wrench.

szabo016
06-16-2010, 08:54 AM
Thanks alot. I have never done it before, but my dad has done it on other cars and my best fiend is a mechanic. I was looking it over and noticed two of the three engine mounts were on the trany. Did you have to support the engine with something. Also... there is a support bar right under the trany. Does that need to be taken out in order to slide the trany out.
Thanks

david-b
06-16-2010, 09:51 AM
The cross member will need to come out. Should have 4 bolts holding it on, along with the front motor mount, which is just one bolt.

vanilla gorilla
06-16-2010, 06:43 PM
Yes, as david stated the lower crossmember will have to come out. As far as the engine, I just leave the one engine mount connected and let the engine just hang there. If it makes you feel better you can support the bottom of the engine at the oil pan with a wood block on a floor jack.

szabo016
06-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. hopefully start tmrw

szabo016
06-18-2010, 01:29 PM
ok. i need some help. we are trying to get the passenger drive shaft out but it wont budge. Any advice?

vanilla gorilla
06-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Out of what? The hub or the transmission? If your having trouble getting it out of the hub, your just going to have to use some force. Somtimes they can be hard to get out after being in for so many years. If your trying to get it out of the transmission, they can be aggravating at times. You will have to get a prybar and wedge it between the axle and the transmission and pry on it to work it loose. There is a C clip on the end of the axle that locks into the trans to keep the axle from coming out, and it takes a good bit of force to pop it loose.

szabo016
06-18-2010, 07:38 PM
sorry, i meant transmission. But we got it. Actually with me and my dad both having a pry bar we still could not get it out, partly the angles we were prying it at were to blame, but then we just took a wedge, put it in there, gave it a few pops with a hammer and out it came. So much easier.

Add your comment to this topic!