Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'99 accent. getting engine light looking for evap cansiter

jacobbones
06-09-2010, 11:06 PM
So my accent has had a check engine light on for years, I do the unplug battery and drive a few miles trick to get it inspected every year.

I just picked up a ODB diagnostic tool today cheap and plugged it in and was given P0441 error code. Which is emmision control system purge flow fault.
I looked it up and it may be the evap canister, so I was gonna take a look tomorrow for the he** of it. Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction as to where to begin looking for it? Im assuming somewhere in rear near fuel tank

Im just about to the point for a new car but just incase I have to wait a few more months i wanna get the problem fixed so i can get it inspected without the hassle of resetting computer and driving and hoping light doesnt pop on before I get it inspected

snakecan2
08-22-2010, 11:58 AM
having similar issues with 05 accent.. had some part replaced by the fuel tank.. but after a few hundred miles same issue.. still looking for schematics of all the evap hoses etc.. will post if locate, same if you figure out your problem

mcmalloy
08-22-2010, 01:42 PM
its at the rear beside fuel tank , check the hoses for cracks, one small crack will trip that code

snakecan2
08-22-2010, 09:13 PM
found it after getting off my rear and looking it up online..
we had a good mechanic that my wife knows replace the pump a couple of months ago. but then the check engine light came on again and after she fueled up had issues starting the vehicle. me being busy, told her to start vehicle up with gas cap off. starts with no problem. great..

well hitting 100 plus she was complaining of engine surging at low speed stuck in traffic.. ok. have a bad ass nissan that is stick she wont drive. i need the diesel that she loves, but i must drive for work. and other truck has ac issues.. so she drives zippy.. great gas mileage.. but if acting up she not happy and very concerned.. ..

but to make a long story shorter.. took out canister, and pump.. behide gas tank driver side. very easy to do. no carbon pellets in hoses, no exess fuel in canister ((( vehicle has been parked for a few days in texas heat)) hope that lines don't have other issues.. blew out air filter intake for evap canister plenty of dust and more dust.. all lines didnt have any issues with them like fuel, carbon pellets or residue of such. BUT since code showed leak.. did notice that "O" ring on new purge pump did not seam to seat very well... so I lubed it up with eletro conector lube and hope that would solve problem. 80miles in one day check engine light still off. have not topped off fuel tank to see if other issue remains. but will soon find out.

after reading some other post from other blogs.. I shook the canister abit, cleaned out any air lines, no reason to run tube cleaner rods, but might if issue still persists. so will update if sealing "O" ring and blowing out intake port doesnt resolve issue.

Add your comment to this topic!