Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 Accent Tranny problem????

Cavalieress
06-07-2010, 09:36 AM
I've never had any problems with this car. A few weeks ago, I had to get the compressor replaced for my air conditioner. Then I had to take it back to get the belts adjusted because they were squealing like crazy. Right after I had that done, when I went from R to D, the car sputtered and carried on and wouldn't go. So I went back to P and shifted down through VERY slowly, pausing in each gear and it would then go into D just fine. All gears shifted (it's an automatic). Then it started to progress to where it just wouldn't go into D at all...you have to start it in L, then 2, then into D, just like a manual. If you have to stop before you get to D, like in L or 2, it gives a "thump" when you stop and is harder to pull out of the lower gears then. Once you get in D though, like on the highway, and come to a stop, it's perfectly fine.

This morning, it went into D without all the extra stuff, but as the day progressed, it seems to lag when pulling out from stops. I checked the tranny fluid, it's a brownish color, but not dark. Someone mentioned it might be the filter? The fluid isn't low and once you let it sit for a bit, it's fine...it just seems the more it's driven during the day the more problems it causes.

Any suggestions would be super appreciated! I have it scheduled to go into the shop on Thursday. I'm hoping it's not the transmission slipping.

steverob3
06-09-2010, 01:04 AM
Hey I think you should do servicing of your car and also checkout (with the help of mechanic) the gear box , it can happen if the gears may lose their grip and may slip also checkout the gear adjustments. Hope it should work...

leonbentz
06-09-2010, 03:05 PM
If your fluid is brown, that is a bad sign. Chances are, you have bad bands. You might see how it acts after new fluid and filter are put in.:smokin:

71chevyvan
07-07-2010, 03:13 PM
how long since your last transmission filter/fluid change?

from my experience the filter and fluid MUST be changed at 30,60,90K miles or you will experience the problems you describe.
this is true for any car. its never to late to do it.

Add your comment to this topic!